Trusted Contributor

Re: It's A Small Thing But So Annoying

I work at a college. 15 years ago the students (men and women) would push pass me on the way to class, slam doors in my face, swear loudly and spit (spit everywhere).

In the last 6 years or so they are now (for the most part )courteous and well behaved when I see them during the class day. I just came out of the nearby coffee shop and two young men rushed to hold the door open for me.

I say it's the parents as well as the times. I'm more casual and enjoying that but my daughter was brought up with manners. It's paid off for her and I'm a product of my parents insistence on manners.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ValuSkr wrote:

So many men leave their baseball caps on all the time, as if they're surgically attached.  I don't know why - maybe they're balding and self-conscious.  But, yes it would be nice if they were removed in indoor setttings, whether or not seated for dining.

I think a majority of men who are permanently attached to their BB cap do so to cover up baldness or thinning hair. Unfortunately wearing a hat all the time can actually cause hair to fall out due to lack of ventilation.

Honored Contributor

@Ruby Laine -

Aww! I guess I'm old too. That just about makes me cry. So sweet.

As for hats on men, I always asked my son to please take off his hat when we went out to eat or to visit my mother. I learned that's what men did as respect.

He said his hair looked awful or he needed a haircut. He was very self-conscious about it-you know if he didn't come fresh from a haircut and 10 gallons of gel!Woman LOL

Thankfully he is what I consider a gentleman again.

Definitely is a more casual time.

That doesn't mean those who want to can still dress how we like.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

We used to be a better dressed country...now a reflection of our casual culture, sneakers, jeans, t-shirts and baseball caps worn backwards has become the norm.  While there's nothing wrong with that for casual wear, it's not even clean sneakers, neat jeans and t-shirts.  More often, they look sloppy.  

Who hasn't experienced smashed hair under a hat that doesn't bounce back when it's removed...might be the reason they are not removed.  For women, that could be a disaster.  The reason I never wear hats.

But, as I see it, the way someone dresses and where they wear that attire says a lot about that person...not me. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Marp wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

We have some new neighbors renting a house across the street. 

I'm pretty sure they are Mennonite. I think they are using the house for home schooling.

Kids come & go like it's Grand Central Station.

At times they make the girls stand out front in the freezing cold while the boys go in first. The boys come back out with their school notebooks & girls go in the house.

They don't make very good neighbors.

@Nightowlz, why and in what way?

@Marp 

Like I said it's like Grand Central Station over there.

We bought our house in a housing addition not across the street from a school.

They are always blocking our driveway, they throw trash in the street instead of putting it in the trash can. They also make a lot of noise. It was nice & quiet around here until they showed up.

They forget to set their trash out. It's sitting next to the garage overflowing. They just picked up trash this morning so when the wind starts blowing tomorrow it will be all over the place.

They moved in later last year & waited to mow until the grass was a foot high.

The other people that lived there were real nice but they got evicted. One morning I looked out the window & a couple of guys were putting all their stuff in the front yard.

At least they took care of that place.

Honored Contributor

Taking your hat off to eat means nothing - it's how you live your life and treat others!!!

Another thought - there are many who use so called manners of the past to fool older people into thinking they are so wonderful...but...  - like Eddie Haskel was!

Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

If they took them off, where would you like them to put them?  On the table?  I think not.  On the floor to get stepped on?

If they are wearing a hat, I would prefer it stay on their head.  That way, none of their hair is falling on the table, and I don't have to see any gross and dirty sweat ring around the inside of the hat.  

Leave them in the car. They aren't like glasses-they don't need them to read the menu.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

Yes women should remove hats too.  I addressed men because I saw no women with hats at dinner.  Outside of winter hats, and the occasional baseball hat in the summer, I rarely see women in hats.

I wore hats to 2 wedding years ago, and yes, I took them off in the church.

That's funny to me because years ago women were required to wear hats to mass.

Honored Contributor

@Pook wrote:

Taking your hat off to eat means nothing - it's how you live your life and treat others!!!

Another thought - there are many who use so called manners of the past to fool older people into thinking they are so wonderful...but...  - like Eddie Haskel was!

But like June and Ward found out-they're pretty easy to spot! lol

Esteemed Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

@Puppy Lips wrote:

If they took them off, where would you like them to put them?  On the table?  I think not.  On the floor to get stepped on?

If they are wearing a hat, I would prefer it stay on their head.  That way, none of their hair is falling on the table, and I don't have to see any gross and dirty sweat ring around the inside of the hat.  

Leave them in the car. They aren't like glasses-they don't need them to read the menu.

Yes, they could do that.  I live in a small town in a warm, sunny, climate.  Many people that I see in our local restaurants would have stopped in to eat after a day of shopping the town or visiting one of our many festivals.  So in that case, their car would not be nearby.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead