Honored Contributor

Re: It's A Small Thing But So Annoying

Originally, this is a very country (farm hand) behavior.  I guess it caught on because of so many ball players, then there was a "cap with a logo" trend.  I always considered it rude at any meal.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

I agree with you on this part of your post:

"And yes I'm old fashioned in that respect"!

I grew up working at several restaurants, one was considered a Top in our city. Now this was in the 1950-1960's, and I saw much worse than the things you mention annoy you. Hats, really?

I do most of my eating in my own home and it just kills our felines and canine to watch me eat.  =^..^=

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Etiquette changes over the years.  Society is much more casual now and that isn't all bad.  The hat thing doesn't bother me.  One thing about todays more casual dress that I like is..... you don't need as many different outfits and that saves a lot of money!  You can go fairly casual to church or even to funeral homes these days.  Not all this lookin in the closet and saying "whatever am I going to wear"?   

Esteemed Contributor

I myself always dress up a bit when stepping out to dinner.So does DH. But I don’t mind others not doing the same. I have no problem with men or women not removing their hats. I like having the option of casualness.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My husband and my sons always remove their hats before coming to the table.   No way would they get a bite to eat if they didn't.

I taught my kids manners.  They know them well. My children are adults now, but people who have met my adult kids still tell me how polite they are. Same goes for my grands.

I don't care how casual society is now, I know that my kids won't embarrass themselves in anyone's company because they were not taught proper manners.

When I grew up, if you did not use manners at the table, you were banished from the kitchen. My parents said humans should not eat like barnyard animals.

Being casual does not excuse bad manners.

Oh,  and don't get me startedon men wearing tank tops in nice sit down restaurants...

gross!!  I have seen men throw a fit when they were not allowed to enter a resturant in a tank top, especially in resort areas.

Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

My husband and my sons always remove their hats before coming to the table.   No way would they get a bite to eat if they didn't.

I taught my kids manners.  They know them well. My children are adults now, but people who have met my adult kids still tell me how polite they are. Same goes for my grands.

I don't care how casual society is now, I know that my kids won't embarrass themselves in anyone's company because they were not taught proper manners.

When I grew up, if you did not use manners at the table, you were banished from the kitchen. My parents said humans should not eat like barnyard animals.

Being casual does not excuse bad manners.

I love this post.❤️

Esteemed Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

We have some new neighbors renting a house across the street. 

I'm pretty sure they are Mennonite. I think they are using the house for home schooling.

Kids come & go like it's Grand Central Station.

At times they make the girls stand out front in the freezing cold while the boys go in first. The boys come back out with their school notebooks & girls go in the house.

They don't make very good neighbors.

@Nightowlz, why and in what way?

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

removing your hat when you are inside is a pet peeve of my husband.....maybe because of his military career.....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CrazyKittyLvr2 Late DH and I were pretty casual people when it came to clothing. NOT sloppy, just casual. One rule we made from Day 1: NO BASEBALL CAPS OR HATS OF ANY KIND AT THE TABLE!!

To this day, my 49 year old son adheres to this, as does his teen age son!

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

At my school, we finally outlawed hats altogether during school hours. First of all, the principal got tired of dealing with accusations of stealing hats among students when he had much more important issues with which to deal. Secondly, we found that the students didn't even know that hats are usually removed during the National anthem or the flag salute. It became a learning moment.  Third, the boys never washed their hair when they could wear the hats. What WAS showing was dirty and possibly a refuge for bugs. Most of the nice restaurants that I have been to have not been populated with hat wearers, but I suppose it happens. I guess, as you say, it's a small thing, considering all the bigger issues facing us, like getting shot by someone in a public place.