Esteemed Contributor

It's A Small Thing But So Annoying

This weekend we went to dinner at a very nice restaurant. I can't tell you how many men/boys I saw that did not remove  their darn hats while eating.

I realize we are a casual society and I'm not saying they have to remove hats to walk around a mall and such, but some places, tableclothes and cloth napkins warrant removing your hat.  And yes I'm old fashioned in that respect.

Respected Contributor

Re: It's A Small Thing But So Annoying

@CrazyKittyLvr2 It is an entirely different vibe today.  Guess the custom to "dress up" for a special occasion for many just isn't there, with exceptions, naturally.

As for me, even though I'm retired I still like to dress well when the situation--in my mind--calls for it.  Jeans aren't meant for every situation, at least for me.  But live and let live; the pendulum will eventually swing back.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

Women wear hats in restaurants, too.

Same boat, different crew.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

This weekend we went to dinner at a very nice restaurant. I can't tell you how many men/boys I saw that did not remove  their darn hats while eating.

I realize we are a casual society and I'm not saying they have to remove hats to walk around a mall and such, but some places, tableclothes and cloth napkins warrant removing your hat.  And yes I'm old fashioned in that way. 

Do you feel the same way about women removing their hats?

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

So many men leave their baseball caps on all the time, as if they're surgically attached.  I don't know why - maybe they're balding and self-conscious.  But, yes it would be nice if they were removed in indoor setttings, whether or not seated for dining.

Valued Contributor

I hate this also.  And I agree that we have become a much more casual society and we don't need to put on black tie to go out and eat, but  a little common sense can go a long way.  I was at a bridal shower last summer and a girl had on a pair of shorts so short her butt was almost exposed.  Like I said, no common sense.

Esteemed Contributor

But were the baseball caps on backward?  

Esteemed Contributor

If they took them off, where would you like them to put them?  On the table?  I think not.  On the floor to get stepped on?

If they are wearing a hat, I would prefer it stay on their head.  That way, none of their hair is falling on the table, and I don't have to see any gross and dirty sweat ring around the inside of the hat.  

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Esteemed Contributor

Yes women should remove hats too.  I addressed men because I saw no women with hats at dinner.  Outside of winter hats, and the occasional baseball hat in the summer, I rarely see women in hats.

I wore hats to 2 wedding years ago, and yes, I took them off in the church.

Honored Contributor

People today have gigantic egos and no pride.  Dressing well and having manners means you have pride in yourself and respect or others.