Honored Contributor

Re: It's A Free Country Man.

Free country or not, and let's face it, we're not as free as we used to be for a whole lot of reasons... it's a no-brainer for me to wear a life preserver when in a boat and to make a yeoman's effort to wear a mask right now when in public. That said, people make and have always made bad choices and I'm not going to wish bad juju on them for doing so, as some here seem to be doing. Some of those bad choices do and always have required that they then receive help from those whose job it is to help... Paid helpers are, in fact, paid to respond, even to those who have made bad choices... Right or wrong, it goes with the turf... 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Spurt wrote:

@Dusty1 wrote:

@Spurt The point that they are making is that you DO make decisions every day that could put someone else's life in danger. You drive or ride in a car, probably, & in a second that can turn into a horrible accident. And, hopefully someone can save you without getting to judge if you deserve to be saved.

You light a candle. Use your clothes dryer. Fire hazards! Do you deserve the fire department?

We could point fingers every day, but life shouldn't be about that. 

I keep seeing the words "idiots" & "selfish" & it makes me so sad. Not that there aren't selfish idiots in the world, but that we are using those words so quickly to shame & judge people that probably don't deserve it.

@Dusty1 

Things that happen while driving a car, or operating a dryer are called ACCIDENTS which is totally different than actions taken with BOTH EYES OPEN!-that's why there's insurance to make injured parties whole again! 

Here's the definition of an ACCIDENT-noun-

"an unfortunate incident that happens unexpectedly and unintentionally, typically resulting in damage or injury."

And as far as candles, its the person's RESPONSIBILTY to make sure they adhere to the safety precautions the manufactuer includes in the purchase of the item....And in some cases, if they live in an apartment, its against the rules to have real flame candles....again not adhering to regulations which impact others!

Exactly! What's so hard to understand? We know the fire is HOT, we don't  have to touch it! We've been told the lion is DANGEROUS, we don't have to go in his den! The point is, you don't  have to put yourself in harm's way intentionally!

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Esteemed Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@Dusty1 wrote:

@Spurt The point that they are making is that you DO make decisions every day that could put someone else's life in danger. You drive or ride in a car, probably, & in a second that can turn into a horrible accident. And, hopefully someone can save you without getting to judge if you deserve to be saved.

You light a candle. Use your clothes dryer. Fire hazards! Do you deserve the fire department?

We could point fingers every day, but life shouldn't be about that. 

I keep seeing the words "idiots" & "selfish" & it makes me so sad. Not that there aren't selfish idiots in the world, but that we are using those words so quickly to shame & judge people that probably don't deserve it.

@Dusty1 

Things that happen while driving a car, or operating a dryer are called ACCIDENTS which is totally different than actions taken with BOTH EYES OPEN!-that's why there's insurance to make injured parties whole again! 

Here's the definition of an ACCIDENT-noun-

"an unfortunate incident that happens unexpectedly and unintentionally, typically resulting in damage or injury."

And as far as candles, its the person's RESPONSIBILTY to make sure they adhere to the safety precautions the manufactuer includes in the purchase of the item....And in some cases, if they live in an apartment, its against the rules to have real flame candles....again not adhering to regulations which impact others!

ALL accidents can be traced to a bad choice.  

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

@Dusty1 wrote:

While I don't disagree with you about people being belligerant saying things like "it's a free country! I don't have to wear a mask/helmet/life jacket". Probably the people that are saying that are the first ones that will need help.

I don't like being told how to live my life "for my own good", because the government knows better than me.

But, I also have fairly good common sense & have done a decent job of taking care of myself & my family.

On the other hand, I truly don't agree with "shut your yaps", "idiots", "zero sympathy & tolerance"...what is happening?

Does everything have to be a batlle with someone being "right"? 

What our country needs right now IS a bit of sympathy & tolerance. 

We don't all have to agree on things, & we can explain why we disagree, but I wish we wouldn't jump so quickly to judge & chastize.

@Dusty1   This is exactly how I feel. I don’t wear a mask because the government told me to. I wear one not so much for myself, but to protect anyone out there who I may come in contact with. I worry more about others than I do myself, I’ve always been like that. 

Ive said it a lot recently, there’s no sense in calling people names or making things “personal” because they have different beliefs or views. We certainly can’t expect our kids to be respectful if we are not. Opinions are just that, opinions. In the end, we all just want to be happy and healthy. 

Super Contributor

Let's all be thankful that before a first responder risks his or her life (or whether it risks their lives or not), to save us, they don't stop to take the time to make a judgement on whether we "deserve" to be helped our not.   

Please take the time to listen to what some of you are saying.     

Honored Contributor

@hckynut     My "free country" neighbors quite possibly  didn't share the same interpretion of the phrase as you do (!!!!) 

One had a meth lab in the garage.....which blew up, and burned the house down.    The other one had more roommates than anyone could count.....and had a 24-hour party going, complete with loud music and fireworks in the yard.......both are now gone, not peacefully, I might add...... di

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

ITA, @CrazyKittyLvr2.

Its a free country, but there are only so many ICU beds and the ones in my state are getting full.

Respected Contributor

I think the no mask crowd is about the 15% with relevant psychiatric disorders and the lower 20% in intellectual development.  About 35%, yup.

Honored Contributor

If anyone wants me to be tolerant of behavior that violates my rights, my reply to that would be, "Nope." If you want to go around infringing on others' rights, that is not a "right" we all need to shut up and tolerate. It's being a bully. And bullies should be stood up to, not allowed to go around ruining things for others.

I have a right to go to a store and expect everyone I encounter to be doing their best to avoid giving me a serious, potentially fatal disease. You don't get to violate my right to health. No excuses.

If it were just a matter of opinion where there were absolutely zero real life consequences, I wouldn't care. Totally open minded. Maybe we're all just in a big simulation man. How so I know I'm even real....Whoa.

But as soon as you try to implement any ideas that infringe on my rights, IN THE REAL WORLD, it is no longer just your opinion. You are directly acting against my interests and put yourself in opposition to my freedom and happiness. Do not expect a rainbow or a sunshine if you choose to do that.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

I'd also say that not all opinions are equal. My opinion on how an airplane works is not equal to the opinion of an engineer who designs airplanes. It would be ridiculous to for me to demand equal footing and say on the matter.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr