Respected Contributor

Re: It's A Free Country Man.

Many years ago in junior high I had a teacher who made this statement..."Your rights end where my nose begins."

Once my choice affects other people (or in this case, possibly INfects other people)...then it's not just about what I want anymore.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hckynut wrote:

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

While I agree with much of what you say!  How far do you want this extended? Should everyone agree on what is and what isn't a risk? How exactly would that work, and who would be in charge of making decisions, say for me?

Probably in general the most dangerous thing most do on a regular basis is drive a motor vehicle, yet they drive. Others love to skydive, which statistically is safer that driving a vehicle on public roads, even driving a race car is statistically safer.

My sympathy level has not changed involving "people", but I am usually empathetic as opposed to sympathetic. That of course depends on circumstances.

Tolerance level for me? The only time what other people do when it comes to tolerance for me, is when it directly effects me/my family/close friends and animals.

I don't presume to know what a person drowning wants anymore than I presume to know what "zero" tolerance means to things and people I know nothing about.

I looked all my adult life at "life itself being a risk". If my life is made more full by doing things others deem as "risky", that is what I have done and will continue to do. I have suffered the consequences from many of my choices, but those choices added to the enjoyment of living "my life", and my life only.

What others think of my decisions and risks in my life, other than those closely connected to me and my life?  Tolerate or have zero tolerance, I really don't care.

hckynut 

@hckynut 

Trust me, I'm for as LESS government intervention as possible (they always seem to mess things up and make things more expensive doing it their way).....

What you say is true, but when it involves others risking THEIR lives to get you out the mess....than it becomes not only YOUR decision, but impacts them and their lives as well.....thats the problem...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Memebell wrote:

A little tolerance and respect for people who don't have the same views as you would go a long way..... 

I don't get the level of animosity many on these boards express at times.   

As for teaching non mask wearers a lesson by advocating they deserve what they get, I would like to ask one question.    In a hurricane, should we rescue those who refused to leave their homes they worked all their lives for or just leave them to die cause they didn't heed the warning? 

The America I know is more compassionate than that.   And more loving still are our first responders who won't hesitate a moment to risk their lives for you one day when you may make a decision that wasnt too smart.  Thank God they don't have the attitude sometime expressed on the boards.  

Some people on these boards have no compassion, no empathy and are extremely judgemental.  They believe they are perfect and do not understand why everyone does not believe and live as they do.  Over time it is not hard to figure out who they are.  Most just let them rant and are thankful they are not part of their real lives.

@CrazyDaisy 

We are not talking about decisions that only impact ONE person's life......the decisions we are talking about impact innocent people's lives.....  the EMT Rescue Crew that has to search for the body in the case of the drowning victim, or consider those that are left behind because someone refused to wear a mask that could have prevented a loved one's death.....The SELFISH person's decision created a danger to innocent people! That's the reason we don't have empathy or compassion---they don't deserve it, they put innocent people in DANGER!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

Last week our local news aired a segment that 4 people drowned in the last month in the Delaware River at Delaware Water Gap.  A State Trooper or Park Ranger urged everyone to wear vests when in a boat, or in and around water and general rules for water safey.

Well. tonite in the segment where viewers call in, a youngish man commented, "masks, now vests in boats, it's free country man."

Yep, it is.  However, should your free azz end up in the drink, you going to want someone to risk their life to save yours. If you drown because you didn't want to put a vest  on your "free" body, divers will risk themselves to bring your body to your family.

My sympathy level and tolerence for people is about at zero.  My feeling is, you fall in, good luck, you are free..  Go with God.

And yes, people do risky ****** all the time, but others have to risk their lives because of them. No sense of self-preservation.

Being free includes responsibilities....including not to hurt others or put others at risk.

Mandatory auto insurance, ok.

Seat belts required, ok.

Wear pants when in public, ok.

Gun permits required, ok.

Don't cough on people, ok.

Don't drink and drive, ok  

The government knows every personal detail about you, ok.

Don't smoke on airplanes, ok.

Stop at red lights, ok.

Wear a mask, It's a free country and I don't want to tantrum.

@CalminHeart 

WELL SAID!

Honored Contributor

Good morning @Spurt 

What you mentioned here is the part of that post to which I do agree.

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@Spurt The point that they are making is that you DO make decisions every day that could put someone else's life in danger. You drive or ride in a car, probably, & in a second that can turn into a horrible accident. And, hopefully someone can save you without getting to judge if you deserve to be saved.

You light a candle. Use your clothes dryer. Fire hazards! Do you deserve the fire department?

We could point fingers every day, but life shouldn't be about that. 

I keep seeing the words "idiots" & "selfish" & it makes me so sad. Not that there aren't selfish idiots in the world, but that we are using those words so quickly to shame & judge people that probably don't deserve it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Dusty1 wrote:

@Spurt The point that they are making is that you DO make decisions every day that could put someone else's life in danger. You drive or ride in a car, probably, & in a second that can turn into a horrible accident. And, hopefully someone can save you without getting to judge if you deserve to be saved.

You light a candle. Use your clothes dryer. Fire hazards! Do you deserve the fire department?

We could point fingers every day, but life shouldn't be about that. 

I keep seeing the words "idiots" & "selfish" & it makes me so sad. Not that there aren't selfish idiots in the world, but that we are using those words so quickly to shame & judge people that probably don't deserve it.

@Dusty1 

Things that happen while driving a car, or operating a dryer are called ACCIDENTS which is totally different than actions taken with BOTH EYES OPEN!-that's why there's insurance to make injured parties whole again! 

Here's the definition of an ACCIDENT-noun-

"an unfortunate incident that happens unexpectedly and unintentionally, typically resulting in damage or injury."

And as far as candles, its the person's RESPONSIBILTY to make sure they adhere to the safety precautions the manufactuer includes in the purchase of the item....And in some cases, if they live in an apartment, its against the rules to have real flame candles....again not adhering to regulations which impact others!
Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

Obviously, the "free country person" hasn't lived with an HOA........

@Desertdi 

That would not be me. I consider myself the "free country person" and I lived with an HOA for 22 years. Attended many meetings during those years.

I quit going when the "highly educated" officers were more interested in Robert's Rules than listening to someone. Seemed to be brought up more when people, like myself, did not agree with "rules" they wanted to implement or change.

Enjoyed many of the exchanges until some on the "board" would put out a narrative, with a question, and when they were getting an answer they did not like? Spout some ridiculous violation of their precious Robert's Rules. Decided if I can't be heard, it was an unnecessary waste of my time.

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hckynut 

Good Morning!  

Sounds like you had a "Cynthia" running your HOA much like those Geico commercials....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

hckynut(john)