Trusted Contributor

Re: It's A Car Not A Submarine

I've texted back and forth a couple times with my good friend who lives in Naples. As of this morning she said she's fine, but no power. I am really relieved, she's been on my mind constantly the last few days.

Honored Contributor

My thoughts and prayers are with Floridians during this devastation.  It is a poignant reminder of priorities.  The Governor and his team is doing an excellent job.  The rebuild will be extensive and I've heard a few people say they choose to leave.  Right now I'm sure that are in shock if they lost their home.  Florida is such a beautiful state...I'm sure they will rise like the Phoenix in time.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

People do go out to look at the damage--I'll never understand that, as downed power lines in puddles don't give any warning to the way they are electrified.

My dad was a small town doctor, a real country doctor type, who drove off to deliver a baby (at home) sometime in the 60s, I think the storm was H. Donna. 

When he came home, he got out of his old car (he favored Buicks) and was almost struck by an old oak tree that suddenly fell on his car and just missed him, a few feet toward the house.  We were all watching. 

I doubt if any one of his grown-up kids would ever go anywhere in a storm, or even (as this was) in its day-after aftermath.  My mother said to him, oh, honey, why did you go out?. 

He said, The baby is healthy.

Esteemed Contributor

@Burnsite  We had an F1 tornado come through here back in 2000 or 2001.  There were a lot of trees down on back roads as well as our state road.

The county said to stay off the roads so crews could work.  My one sister-in-law got in her vehicle and drove around to see the damage.  Keep your butt at home if you are not essential to the clean up effort or are medical personnel.

Esteemed Contributor

People don't take hurricane warnings seriously!

Someone on a local community FB page asked, YESTERDAY MORNING (9/28), if the storm was going to hit us in Central Florida!!!!!!YEP!!!!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NEvans2 @Your lucky you could text. Most of Naples cell towers are down and crews are bringing in portable ones.

Honored Contributor

Again, I don't get it.
"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

Honestly, I don't understand people living .... anywhere .... and not taking the time to understand weather patterns and emergency protocols.

Not long ago, I was reading about a flood and that the authorities were extremely concerned about people ignoring their warnings.  Problem was, there had been flooding and there were many, many poisonous  SNAKES in the water.    Woman Surprised

In a word:   YIKES !

Honored Contributor

Disney will start re-opening tomorrow (Friday).  So, they must not have had much damage.  I read that a lot of people (locals) stay at Disney hotels during such storms because they know it's safe, and they'll have food, wifi, and other such amenities.  A bonus - Disney costumed characters pay visits.

Honored Contributor

The stranded driver was a nurse trying to get to work.