Respected Contributor

@mrshckynut wrote:

Kinda makes me think of those that choose a Cologuard test in lieu of a Colonoscopy.  One is 100% accurate with the procedure results, and at best 50/50 with the Cologuard, and at worst 90/10.  No big deal, Colon Cancer is not 1st in cancer deaths in the United States, it's 2nd!

hckynut🏒

How funny you should bring this up.  I am doing this test right now.  The accuracy is 92% vs. 94% for colonoscopies (according to a quite Google search).  It is not for everyone, depending on your history and situation.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@mrshckynut wrote:

Kinda makes me think of those that choose a Cologuard test in lieu of a Colonoscopy.  One is 100% accurate with the procedure results, and at best 50/50 with the Cologuard, and at worst 90/10.  No big deal, Colon Cancer is not 1st in cancer deaths in the United States, it's 2nd!

hckynut🏒

Welcome to the boards @mrshckynut !  I enjoy reading your husband's posts.

@NickNack   @hckynut just started a thread stating that this poster is not his wife.  Who would do that - use that nic??

Honored Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

@NickNack wrote:

@mrshckynut wrote:

hckynut🏒

@NickNack   @hckynut just started a thread stating that this poster is not his wife.  Who would do that - use that nic??

@Mj12   That's bizarre.  I'm sure she did it innocently, not realizing there was already a @hckynut  that posts here.  I'll edit my post,

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@Mj12 wrote:

@NickNack wrote:

@mrshckynut wrote:

hckynut🏒

@Mj12   That's bizarre.  I'm sure she did it innocently, not realizing there was already a @hckynut  that posts here.  I'll edit my post,

@NickNack  Yes, it was probably also a coincidence that she chose the same signature as hckynut.

Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@Mj12 wrote:

@NickNack wrote:

@mrshckynut wrote:

hckynut🏒

That doesn't look innocent to me at all. The person used the same hockey icon as @hckynut. Something odd is up.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@Peaches McPhee,

You got your statistics partially correct.  Cologuard is 92% accurate in detecting Colorectal Cancer. But! It is only 42% accurate in predicting Precancerous Polyps.

So! If you don't have cancer via Cologuard, great! But if you have Precancerous Polyps that have been dormant for say, 9.5 years? Chances of those taking a Cologuard test doing it again in 6 months? Doubtful to me that number would be very high. But if they develope symptoms in that period of time? The Precancerous Polyps may have advanced into Cancer and mutated to other parts of the body.

For those willing to take that risk? As far as perforation of the colon during a Colonoscopy? At worst 0.2% among the lowest of any major invasive procedure. I choose the Colonoscopy with is close to being 100% in detecting Precancerous Polyps, what others choose? It's their life, not mine.

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I'm so confused.

Honored Contributor

Re: It just gets better.

[ Edited ]

@ValuSkr wrote:

@NickNack wrote:

@Mj12 wrote:

@NickNack wrote:

@mrshckynut wrote:

hckynut🏒

@NickNack  Yes, it was probably also a coincidence that she chose the same signature as hckynut.

@ValuSkr   He doesn't have a hockey stick in his signature though.

Edited to say: I just looked up his posts and see that I am wrong about that.  This is a bizarre situation.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

@occasionalrain wrote:

An unreliable test is worse than no test at all. A false negative test will have the person tested out and about possibly spreading the virus to untold others. 

@occasionalrain Hopefully, even if they test negative, they will take precautions. They won't know the status of those around them. 

@esmerelda, true. And also, if one is at all symtomatic, the default judgment is that they do have Covid. We are past the point in which people had to jump through hoops for that decision.

I'm worried about tons of virus-related issues, but this is not high on my list.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

Gives us even more confidence in our medical "experts."  Right.

Too funny - the press goes ballistic over a drug that seems to work - OMG don't offer it to anyone it's snake oil.  All because they don't like the person who commented on the results and gave people the right to try - rather than just die on a ventilator.

But the presss extolls testing and complains that we don't have "enough" tests - because THAT is the answer to everything (before we get the vaccine which is supposed to be the next answer). 

And now we find out the tests may not work even as well as the drug that is supposed to be so terrible.

@Isobel Archer  I have a loved one on the front lines. He’s been treating Covid 19 patients for weeks. He’s been lukewarm about the treatment hydroxychloroquine + z pac all along and never once has he mentioned this is because of a politician supporting it. It’s because he didn’t have actual results to report either way. He kept telling me they’d know more once their initial vent patients started being weaned off the vents. I, otoh, was excited after seeing this drug combo mentioned on Dr. Oz. I was sure it would work and kept my positive attitude and I kept bugging him. 

Last week the weaning process started. Again I’m clamoring for info. He’s putting me off so I have to keep waiting. Finally I pinned him down. I wanted to know, is this combo helping a lot of people? Half? How many? He sighed and said, “some”, with a very unenthusiastic tone. That was it. That’s all. And they weren’t even sure the survivors lived because of this combo. They’re losing patients even though they’re trying so hard to save them. That’s what they know for sure. 

So, now I want to know if they’re changing their protocol at all. Adding to the treatment steps they already have? Continuing with that combo?  What about convalescent plasma? Remdesivir?