Honored Contributor

Re: It is that time of the year for Rainier Cherries

@chickenbutt,

I freeze mine too. Just pit them first.Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

Got some from my CSA yesterday. Got about 8 lbs of them and half are gone already with just my husband, grandson and myself eating them. They were the plumpest, most delicious I have had so far but I think I say that every year! I got a lot because we are spending the holiday down at the beach and have some friends and family coming. I should have doubled it!

@Irshgrl31201

What is a CSA ?

Esteemed Contributor

How do you pit cherries without using your mouth Woman Wink

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

Love them. I bought some at Costco a week or two ago and just bought another package today. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

I love Rainier cherries and will happily pay the price for a munch or two before the season is over. But I have to restrict myself to a handful at a time or I have serious issues. Anyone else?

Luckily they are a food I don't react to, so I eat as many as I want. I'd be really sad if could only eat a few at a time. They're one of my favorite fruits. 

Honored Contributor

@MomCat wrote:

I am a huge addict of cherries!  I just got these today for 1.99 a lb.  I always say I want to take the time to pit and freeze them, but I eat them up too fast for that.  Not sure how many lbs I need to buy to prevent that.  LOL

I've never seen ranier cherries at that low of a price. That's amazing. 

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

The first few years I saw the Rainier ones, I thought they were wonderful.  Now I don't think they have as much taste as the red.  I freeze them too.

They don't!  I wish someone would explain why she thinks they are better than the red ones.

I like the light floral flavor of them more than the heavy flavor of red cherries. Especially bings. 

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

Got some from my CSA yesterday. Got about 8 lbs of them and half are gone already with just my husband, grandson and myself eating them. They were the plumpest, most delicious I have had so far but I think I say that every year! I got a lot because we are spending the holiday down at the beach and have some friends and family coming. I should have doubled it!

@Irshgrl31201

What is a CSA ?

communuty supported agriculture. You usually pay an upfront fee for a certain amonut of produce for X number of weeks and then you pick it up at the farm or a predetermined pick up location. What you get each week changes based on what's in season. 

Respected Contributor

Love love love cherries! Any kind! even in season they cost a small fortune in my area! And they are worth every penny!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

sunala wrote:

How do you pit cherries without using your mouth Woman Wink

I looked this up a couple of years ago when I was making some cherry/lime popsicles and I think it involved a straw or something.

Memory fails.  Have to look it up again.  There were a few ways, IIRC, most of which were pretty cool, just using regular household items.  All I remember was it took seconds and I did them all in less than 10 minutes.

ETA - now that I'm looking, I think I used the funnel method.  I have lots of funnels so that's probably what I did.    With the straw (plastic) I believe you just push it straight through.  Very little waste and is very effective.