Esteemed Contributor

Re: It is that time of the year for Rainier Cherries

LOVE the Rainier ~cherries~  

"....CAN'T _wait for the season_"..............

My husband brought in two bags Thursday, and I have eaten almost 1/2 of the entire bowl. BUT! I don't snack on chocolates, ....though.

I do agree with those who love the Rainier Cherries better; just a matter of tasteWoman Wink. The 'deep reds', to me, are not as juicy. 

I have never frozen any, thinking the flavor may not be as rich.

It doesn't matter to me, I will enjoy for now. 

And, here, about $5.00 per bag. 

Y U M,,,,,,,,,,,,,    

NAES

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@sunala wrote:

How do you pit cherries without using your mouth Woman Wink

I looked this up a couple of years ago when I was making some cherry/lime popsicles and I think it involved a straw or something.

Memory fails.  Have to look it up again.  There were a few ways, IIRC, most of which were pretty cool, just using regular household items.  All I remember was it took seconds and I did them all in less than 10 minutes.

ETA - now that I'm looking, I think I used the funnel method.  I have lots of funnels so that's probably what I did.    With the straw (plastic) I believe you just push it straight through.  Very little waste and is very effective.

What I'm the only one with a cherry pitter? They work great on olives too. Admittedly I just pit raniers with my mouth, but if I'm making a cherry pie I use the pitter LOL. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

The first Ranier Cherries of the season were $7.99 a pound, so I waited.   I recently got a bag for $2.99 a pound and they are EXCEPTIONAL.   Heart  Yum!

Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

Got some from my CSA yesterday. Got about 8 lbs of them and half are gone already with just my husband, grandson and myself eating them. They were the plumpest, most delicious I have had so far but I think I say that every year! I got a lot because we are spending the holiday down at the beach and have some friends and family coming. I should have doubled it!

@Irshgrl31201

What is a CSA ?

@Tinkrbl44 sorry it took me so long to get back to you. For some reason I was really having troubles with Qs page loading. It is the only website that was giving me trouble. I think it is settled, we will see.

CSA stands for community supported agriculture.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

@jaxs mom wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

The first few years I saw the Rainier ones, I thought they were wonderful.  Now I don't think they have as much taste as the red.  I freeze them too.

They don't!  I wish someone would explain why she thinks they are better than the red ones.

I like the light floral flavor of them more than the heavy flavor of red cherries. Especially bings. 

I love all cherries, but I have never had a bing cherry that was anywhere as good as Rainier cherries. Most people I know prefer the Rainier too. Everyone is different. I think the flavor is better, they are plumper and juicier too.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

@Ladybug837 wrote:

I've never tried this type of cherry. Do they taste different than the dark red ones most grocery stores carry? 

Here you go @Ladybug837 http://www.stemilt.com/fresh-fruit/cherries/rainier-cherries/

They are more expensive because birds eat about 1/3 of the crop according to that site.

JFK
Esteemed Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@sunala wrote:

How do you pit cherries without using your mouth Woman Wink

I looked this up a couple of years ago when I was making some cherry/lime popsicles and I think it involved a straw or something.

Memory fails.  Have to look it up again.  There were a few ways, IIRC, most of which were pretty cool, just using regular household items.  All I remember was it took seconds and I did them all in less than 10 minutes.

ETA - now that I'm looking, I think I used the funnel method.  I have lots of funnels so that's probably what I did.    With the straw (plastic) I believe you just push it straight through.  Very little waste and is very effective.

That sounds good @chickenbutt. I think I even have popsicle forms here. 

JFK
Honored Contributor

To pit a cherry without a pitter...

Take a staightened-out paper clip, stick it in the stem-end of the cherry until you feel the pit. Work your paper clip around the pit to loosen it  and pop it out.

Honored Contributor

I have a cherry pitter that you squeeze like a scissors is the best way I can explain it.  It also will pit olives.  I like to add cherries to fruit salad so that is how I pit them.  Also like to serve them over ice cream.

My Favorite Breed is Adopted