Esteemed Contributor

Re: It is simply not possible

I have always been a careful shopper, bills first, necessities second, anything left goes for splurging.  When Marshall's first opened I loved shopping there.  I wore a lot of Liz Claiborne's designs and got some great deals there.  However, through the years, which is par for the course, Marshall's went downhill and I seldom shopped there anymore.  Now that I am retired , my shopping days are few and far between so I don't know about the merchandise there now, but I loved it way back when.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@GRACIE wrote:

Guilty,TJMaxx and Ross is my weakness,that's why I only go in twice a month. There is always something that catches my eye.This month I have only when in once 😄 but the month has 16 more days.😆

@GRACIE 

Me too, except I visit TJMaxx/Ross/Marshalls once a week.....ouch!

I guess I have FOMO....Fear of Missing Out, LOL!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Trusted Contributor

@Grouchomarx wrote:

@Mombo1 wrote:

Guilty on all counts!  I have the same problem at Pier 1.  My sister in law and I went shopping at Macy’s in the Pittsburgh area yesterday and had a great time spending our coupons. We don’t get to big malls very often, so we made it worth our while.  No regrets.  🤗

I can’t even enter a Pier One without getting in a lot of trouble. That may be the ultimate impulse buy store. So much beatufisl stuff!!!

To make matters worse... I just got an email this morning stating my closest Pier 1 store is closing.  😢.  Everything in the store is 20 to 30 % off.  Eventually more discounts as they get closer to closing...I will have to check them out even though I really don’t need anything.  I just enjoyed going into the store and seeing things in person....The employees were always so nice.  Sorry to see them losing their jobs. 

Esteemed Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

To be honest, while I love to shop, I'm not a big fan of those two stores.

Home Goods- every time I looked at furniture (small pieces) for my dad's assisted living room, everything I looked at had damage.  Every single piece.

I did buy one small table/shelf thing a few months ago at Home Goods for us.  It also had some slight damage so they gave me 10% off.  The associate told me that all of their furniture has damage.  Kind of makes me not want to go there.  I know they have a great selection of lamps, but do those also have damage?

And the Marshalls near us is a mess.  I went in a few months ago for the first time in years, spent a few minutes walking around and left.  I don't plan to go back, at least not to that one.

I'm not a big fan of those stores either - especially Marshall's.  The last time I bought makeup there it was old and cakey.  And the cashier was very, very pushy about getting me to sign up for a card.  When I politely declined, he still continued with his hard sales pitch.  At a different location, I had an issue with prices being marked incorrectly.  It took way too much of my time to get it resolved.  

I do go to Home Goods from time to time, but I usually leave with less than I had gone in for, which is the exact oppposite of the OP's experience.  I was searching everywhere for something to put in the corner of my dining room, and I found exactly what I wanted there.  But it was damaged, so I asked if they had another one.  They did, but that was damaged too.  I wouldn't have taken it even with a discount, but no one offered that to me.  I also noticed that they had expired expiration dates on some food items.  So I do go there to browse and walk around, but most of the time I leave with just a couple of things or empty-handed.

There are definitely stores that are "dangerous" for me!  I walk in to get one or two things, and end up with a whole cart.  But that doesn't happen to me at Home Goods, and I'll probably never set foot in a Marshall's again.  JMO!!

Honored Contributor

The furniture is damaged because they have twice as much stuff in the store as they have room for...and people crash their shopping carts into stuff...it is rare to not hear glass breaking or other similar sound when in there. I have looked at their furniture before but saw nothing to interest me.