Respected Contributor

Just remember that all you're breathing is the air the other people on the plane have exhaled. Unless they'll let you open a window.

Respected Contributor

Re: It is safe to fly

[ Edited ]

@Bri369 wrote:

I cannot imagine flying right now.  Besides the social distancing issues, there is all that recirculated air in the plane. 

Actually, that air is pretty darned clean. Here's an article that I posted in the travel forum a few weeks ago on that subject. It's written by an airline pilot:

https://www.askthepilot.com/questionanswers/cabin-air-quality/ 

Note that it says: 

"Studies have shown that a crowded airplane is no more germ-laden than other enclosed spaces—and usually less. Those underfloor filters are described by manufacturers as being of hospital quality. I needn’t be reminded that hospitals are notorious viral incubators, but Boeing says that between 94 and 99.9 percent of airborne microbes are captured, and there’s a total changeover of air every two or three minutes — far more frequently than occurs in offices, movie theaters, or classrooms."

I'm not advocating that people should run out and get on airplanes just because the air is clean, but I think it's time for the "airplane air is dirty" line to be put to rest. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

@BeautyLverI'm well isolated until well into June at least.  

I'd been working on plans to make major changes well before any of us had heard about the coronavirus.  I'm not thinking even whether the first case was in Africa or in China, the first US case on the east coast or the west.

My planning started well over a year ago and like many well-laid plans, mine is now pretty useless.  The discussion I referred to had us brain-storming my current options even though there's so little certainty right now that whatever I plan will be subject to change.

I know I'm not alone -  I don't have enough fingers to count the dashed plans among just the members of my extended family.  The good news is that all of us are planning for changes for the better and we think we'll be okay.   

Super Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@BeautyLverI'm well isolated until well into June at least.  

I'd been working on plans to make major changes well before any of us had heard about the coronavirus.  I'm not thinking even whether the first case was in Africa or in China, the first US case on the east coast or the west.

My planning started well over a year ago and like many well-laid plans, mine is now pretty useless.  The discussion I referred to had us brain-storming my current options even though there's so little certainty right now that whatever I plan will be subject to change.

I know I'm not alone -  I don't have enough fingers to count the dashed plans among just the members of my extended family.  The good news is that all of us are planning for changes for the better and we think we'll be okay.   

Yes, my plans have been dashed as well.  Most certainly for this year.  Which is the case for most.

Honored Contributor

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

@Bri369 wrote:

I cannot imagine flying right now.  Besides the social distancing issues, there is all that recirculated air in the plane. 

Actually, that air is pretty darned clean. Here's an article that I posted in the travel forum a few weeks ago on that subject. It's written by an airline pilot:

https://www.askthepilot.com/questionanswers/cabin-air-quality/ 

Note that it says: 

"Studies have shown that a crowded airplane is no more germ-laden than other enclosed spaces—and usually less. Those underfloor filters are described by manufacturers as being of hospital quality. I needn’t be reminded that hospitals are notorious viral incubators, but Boeing says that between 94 and 99.9 percent of airborne microbes are captured, and there’s a total changeover of air every two or three minutes — far more frequently than occurs in offices, movie theaters, or classrooms."

I'm not advocating that people should run out and get on airplanes just because the air is clean, but I think it's time for the "airplane air is dirty" line to be put to rest. 

@FrostyBabe1  Interesting.  Thank you so much for that. 

Esteemed Contributor

I read that several airlines are not selling tickets for the middle seats for the time being.

Respected Contributor

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

I read that several airlines are not selling tickets for the middle seats for the time being.

That is correct. They're blocking the middle seats from being selected on the seat maps, and I've seen that a couple of the majors have announced that they'll be doing that thru 6/30. 

Some aircraft have seating configurations in coach with just a pair of seats together, such as 2x3 on the MD80 or B717 series, or 2x4x2 on widebody aircraft. I'm not sure how those are being handled. I'd guess only a couple traveling together, or parent/child, etc would be allowed in the pair of seats. I'd also guess that those are being assigned at the airport or at the gate. It's just a guess though, based on my own experience. I've put all travel on hold until at least 7/1 so I won't be checking it out in the near future. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Respected Contributor

I despise flying but if there was an emergency & my family needed me, my fanny would be on the first flight I could get.

Honored Contributor

I would fly if I needed to...not for vacation, but for something important, yes.

The airline employees are still flying everyday.  If they can do it, so can I.

We can't expect others to take a risk for us while we sit safely at home.  Millions of people are still working everyday.

Most of the flights only have a few people on board. It is°probably safer to fly now than it ever was.

I will never live my life in fear that causes me to stop living my life to the fullest.  I am a realist. I know I am gonna die, I accept that. I don't worry about it. When my time comes, I'll be there.

Super Contributor

Re: It is safe to fly

[ Edited ]

@Carmie wrote:

I would fly if I needed to...not for vacation, but for something important, yes.

The airline employees are still flying everyday.  If they can do it, so can I.

We can't expect others to take a risk for us while we sit safely at home.  Millions of people are still working everyday.

Most of the flights only have a few people on board. It is°probably safer to fly now than it ever was.

I will never live my life in fear that causes me to stop living my life to the fullest.  I am a realist. I know I am gonna die, I accept that. I don't worry about it. When my time comes, I'll be there.

"People" - essential, medical are risking their lives so that we CAN stay at home.  We are all doing our part now to try and minimize the devastation.  For us, and those that will survive us.  If you don't value your own life or those you love, others...there are just no words.