Honored Contributor

Re: It is not illegal but is immoral?

@handygal2  I think it was the Lily Pulitzer collection when I saw that happen in person at my local Target (it's happened with other collections as well, I know). Women had 3-4 carts FILLED with anything (clothing, house and home, scarves you name it) and within 24 hours it was on ebay at double the price. Cushions for outdoor furniture...how do you ship those for a lounger?!

That's why I believe the question really comes down to "is it fair"; because at that moment, I didn't think it was (I didn't get anything because it was all gone). That said, they got there first. They paid for the items. Target sold out and made their profit. They haven't changed their policy about it (at least not where I live). Those women sold it and made more profit. Makes the world go 'round.

Honored Contributor

How can she be "well off" if she has no money. In this day and age ( I know it is a cliche) women must have money of their own. If she is doing this buy,sell,return thingie I see a lot of problems. When we married we did the finaces together. Some one asked us teach a class. No way. We each had an allowance. 

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Respected Contributor

@LoveMeSomeQVC wrote:

@Abrowneyegirl   What your friend is doing is called retail arbitrage and many, many people do it.

The returning part is the sketchy part.   Depending on when she's returning the items she cou!d be impacting the bottom line of the retailer based on seasonality.

Agree!

Your second part is the point of the conversation.  Almost every item has a 'sales season' so of course, it impacts the retailer.

Honored Contributor

I don't understand this, sounds to me like one insane freaky bad habit. There's no way she makes in return what she spends. What's her point to this?  She either has way too much time on her hands or she has way too much money and has no idea what to do with it.

She would fare better IMO to make very charitable monetary contributions to some sort of medical illness research hospitals/centers, build/open/create a wonderful women's shelter/center or the same for a childrens center who have lost one or both parents.

Respected Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

@handygal2  I think it was the Lily Pulitzer collection when I saw that happen in person at my local Target (it's happened with other collections as well, I know). Women had 3-4 carts FILLED with anything (clothing, house and home, scarves you name it) and within 24 hours it was on ebay at double the price. Cushions for outdoor furniture...how do you ship those for a lounger?!

That's why I believe the question really comes down to "is it fair"; because at that moment, I didn't think it was (I didn't get anything because it was all gone). That said, they got there first. They paid for the items. Target sold out and made their profit. They haven't changed their policy about it (at least not where I live). Those women sold it and made more profit. Makes the world go 'round.

No.  I am sure she returned 3 carts full of merchandise then Target had to sell it at discount weeks later when it was returned.

Because of this Target now has a different return widow on these special collections for EVERYONE not just the offenders.

Again at the end of the day, it just gets passed on to consumers, ......

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

@SahmIam : It’s true— Target, and TJX, make the same profit regardless of who buys the items (notwithstanding out-of-season returns).

But the problem is bad public relations for the stores. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth if the store is all picked-over, and I can’t buy what I was looking for. I will find other places to shop.

In the end, they will lose customers. Each store needs to address the problem in their own way.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Respected Contributor

This is what I don't understand. If she sells the items as "New with Tags" she would have to remove the tags before sending them to the buyer so that they don't see the original price. And that's a little sneaky.  Or I guess she could sell them "new without tags." I always wondered why seller would have new items that had no tags. Now I see they are misleading buyers to think they are getting an item at a bargain while marking the price up.  I don't know if I would call this immoral but maybe unethical. It seems dishonest to me. But what do I know? This would not appeal to me in the least as a way to make money.  

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Still Raining wrote:

How can it be "immoral" (a term of judgement) if she is following all the legal rules?

The store could limit number of items or returns, but they do not.

However, she seems a little weird.

I don't think "legal" and "moral" necessarily live together.

@QueenDanceALot, yes, that struck me as well. I also think that sometimes we use the idea of capitalism to defend rather dicey practices.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

To me it is a little shady but is she can sleep at night well be it 

@I am still oxox You hit the "nail on the head"!!!!!

Honored Contributor

@smb3 wrote:

Like my dear father used to say, greed is a terrible thing...

Or on the flip side, Gordon Gecko (aka Michael Douglas) said "Greed is good".