Esteemed Contributor

Re: It is not illegal but is immoral?

@Porcelain wrote:

I'm confused. Why are we talking about the food bank? Is someone accusing this lady that @Abrowneyegirl is talking about of selling food bank items or government cheese on Ebay for a profit? That would be incredibly tacky AND immoral AND possibly illegal.

@Porcelain  Someone on the thread went off-topic and started talking about food banks.

Honored Contributor

To me, her activities are not illegal or immoral but yes, they are a bit dicey.

It doesn't sound like she's strapped for funds or she wouldn't be able to buy all these goods in the first place... Her husband doesn't appear to question her repeated large expenditures to buy 'stock'. Heck, he even bought her a house to flip just for fun. It seems as though she's just one of those people who always has to be in perpetual motion. My own view is it's too bad she doesn't simply find a part time job if she needs to be busy and wants to make her own money...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@on the bay   Stores like TJMax and Good Will are for people who can afford clothing at higher prices.

Those stores are selling to make a profit.  They are for anyone who wants to purchase something.  Even thrift/ second hand stores are for anyone.  The non-profits charity stores do not want merchandise sitting in their stores, they want money to help others with.  Cold Hard Cash is what they want.

Now, going to a church where the clothing is free for those in need when you do not need help, is 100% wrong and immoral.

Respected Contributor

@Carmie 

We are talking about apples and oranges.

You are talking about people buying things from yard sales and thrift stores and selling them.  I assume they are not going back to the Goodwill to return the item expecting their money back if the item does not sell?

Buy and reselling is a business.

The question here is the buying and returning at someone else's expense.

Honored Contributor

I can't imagine she makes enough money to cover the item, her time and car costs.  Seems a bit extreme for extra cash for someone who doesn't appear to need it.  Perhaps they aren't doing as well as they portray.  She will be cut off and flagged as a high returner at some point.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie -

I know they are, that is what I said in my first post.

But I was responding to another poster who pointed out that not just people who are lower income shop there but people who have money do also, maybe because they like to find a "deal."

And my objection to the lady who sells and returns would be that she is taking away inventory from someone who would love to have good clothes at much lower prices and cannot afford to spend more.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl  the store might just consider anything they can sell at a fixed price, is a plus for them.  If somehow they feel she is costing them money, I bet they will stop her

Honored Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl   As long as the store allows her to do it, that is their problem.  If they see a problem, they will no longer allow it.

I know many retail stores who keep track of customer returns, including QVC.  if you return too many items, they will put a stop to it.

It doesn't concern me what others do as long as it isn't legal.  Then I will call law enforcement. There isn't anything we can do about some things and it really isn't any of our business.

Honored Contributor

In my experience, the TJX stores, overall, don't seem to get quite the same level of merchandise they did for many years, though they still get some better items. At one time, their selection of handbags was rather stellar and I did know of women who would buy them by the cart and resell them. Pretty definitely, the woman the OP is writing about isn't an isolated instance. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

The losers here are the TJX shoppers like you and l, who have no shot at the nice merchandise your friend is grabbing up in order to ca$h in! Woman Surprised Woman Frustrated

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~