Respected Contributor

It is not illegal but is immoral?

Good business idea or bad practice?........

I have a very dear friend that I have know for decades, she does not work, but does a lot of volunteer work.  They have no children and they are extremely well off.  For example, she has never flown commercially "with strangers", private planes only. 

Her husband is busy and she decided she wants to earn her "own money"  so about 1 1/2 years ago she started buying clothes to sell on eBay, Poshmark, etc.

She goes into TJMaxx, Ross, etc and buys out all the name brand items she think will turn a profit and lists them online.  Last time we were out she spent $1200 in one store.

If the item does not sell she returns the unsold items to the store and starts all over again. 

She will travel hours to get to a variety of stores to get new 'merchandise' and do her returns.

I will say she is very well organized she knows what needs to be returned when and where.  She estimates she inventories 5 to 7 thousand dollars of stuff at a time.  She sells clothes, shoes, and purses.

My DH rolls his eyes and reminds me that this type of practice is just one of the things that makes it hard for brick and mortar stores and more costly for everyone else.

I know she is not alone many people do this.  Last time I was on Poshmark looking for something there was a seller selling Chico's pants in multiple sizes and colors.  She must have bought the entire clearance rack!

So what do you think, clever business idea or bad practice?

Honored Contributor

Re: It is not illegal but is immoral?

She needs her rear kicked is what I think.

Esteemed Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl  She has too much time on her hands, IMO. Maybe you can steer her toward volunteerism. 

Hopefully the stores where where she buys and returns will catch on and restrict or limit their return policy for her. 

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

I may be in the minority here but this is a free country we can purchase what we want, when we want and do whatever we want to do with it. She returns items to the correct store I assume the items that have not been worn or sold and sent back. Sell it, throw it away, give it away.  She can do whatever suits her desire.

It may not be the most ethical or best choice but she can do what she wants with any item she purchases.

QVC Customer Care

Esteemed Contributor

She must have a better TJ Maxx than I do is what I think. And a way bigger house.

At the end of a month say, how much money does this woman really make?

Respected Contributor

All those returns will catch up with her and the stores will stop taking her returns. 

......You look like I need a drink.....
Respected Contributor

Sounds like a lot of gyrations to make her own money. I suspect she cannot ask her husband for spending money, so this is how she earns it. Some wealthy women consign their designer clothes so they have cash.

I'd rather work outside the home than have to ask permission to spend money.

I make no judgement on the morality of her "job" except to say it would be immoral and illegal to not report her earnings on her tax returns.

Honored Contributor

And we wonder why companies cut off shoppers who return too much too often!!   All the greed is not owned by big business.

Esteemed Contributor

@viva923 wrote:

I may be in the minority here but this is a free country we can purchase what we want, when we want and do whatever we want to do with it. She returns items to the correct store I assume the items that have not been worn or sold and sent back. Sell it, throw it away, give it away.  She can do whatever suits her desire.

It may not be the most ethical or best choice but she can do what she wants with any item she purchases.

@viva923  I would not want to be in customer service at those stores, processing those returns. Would you?

Keepin' it real.