Respected Contributor

Re: It Was Like It Never Even Happened!!!

@peace6576 wrote:

@pitdakota wrote:

@conlt wrote:

I am an RN trained in infection control protocols, how to put on and take off PPE, hand washing, all medial workers have to pass hand washing in school and yearly at the job. This is what I think: I have been ordering groceries online at wal-mart for months and picking them up at the drive through. They put them in my car, I take them in my house, hand wash and sanitize the doors etc. Today wal-mart parking lot was full and there were lots of people going in. Wal-mart is enforcing the social distancing at the doors. Most people did not have masks. The virus is still with us and I think infections will more up again in the next few weeks. 

I am social isolating because it is coming again. People are not being careful out there. Right now, I am trying to stock up on items that were previously sold out. 

Fellow nurse here doing the same thing.  Just laying low and taking it easy.  We have not totally opened back up yet, but I won't be going out shopping or eating in restaurants when they do.  My daughter will have to go back to work, so I do worry about her.

And every single nurse I know here is saying the same thing.  In fact, they have felt disrespected by seeing some of the protests because they know it is them that will be having to risk their safety taking care of people.  In the meantime, our ICU admissions in our state are going up a tad.  So I understand their concern.

I'm a nurse as well, and I am following suit with you both and most of my co-workers are doing the same. We are staying in and avoiding crowds. No restaurants, movies, shopping for myself or my husband. ICU admissions have been on the rise steadily in our city and are expected to peak early June. We are far from out of the woods, but you won't convince some people of that so we nurses will just do what we are called to do...care for people regardless of how selfish, ignorant and deplorable they behave. 🤷🏻‍♀️

And that's the kicker isn't it @peace6576?  We are health care professionals  this is what we do and what we know but all of the sudden don't know a thing we are talking about.  I shake my head when I read someone that has not one lick of medical, nursing or public health knowledge talk about herd immunity as if they are an expert.  They have no clue how to figure the percentage of the population would need to be immune by using the R naught value to caculate what herd immunity would be for a certain disease, let alone Covid-19.  Then you also have to figure out how many deaths would occur to obtain that percentage of herd immunity.

And yes, nurses will do what they always do.  Even when those protestors come in to the hospital, nurses will take care of them and try to do their best to save them.  All the while they are placing themself at risk to contract the same disease from taking care of them.  That is what frustrates my fellow nurses around here.  They are making hard sacrifices not being around their spouses or kids in order not to expose them. 

But the longer people don't adhere to the guidelines or get out there protesting, the longer they have to make their own sacrifices with their families and place themself at more and more risk over time taking care of these patients.

There is something I saw posted on Facebook from a nurse.  A long expose about her losing a 20 something old patient to covid that day.  She makes a plea for people to stay home and follow the guidelines. She ends it with saying, I am not a machine.  So true.  Our health care professionals are not machines.

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

I'll gladly exchange wearing a mask and keeping a distance, as long the tradeoff is to let people get back to work.  We have to get busy in that.  

Honored Contributor

Wow!  That sounds awful.  I don't like the sounds of that.  I know I wouldn't have felt comfortable.  I don't know how people can act in the blink of an eye like nothing happened and everything is just perfect now?  And all this talk about -- re-opening slowly and for everyone to be careful, obey the social distancing, masks, and use caution, etc.  I knew that probaby would not happen for most places.  Basically, as with most things, people have no common sense and make it hard for others.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

I just saw online that a flight with one of the major airlines had a totally packed plane!  All this talk of saying they are going to leave the middle seat empty and are going to make sure planes are not as full, and flights will be safer, etc., --- I guess that's a bunch of lies, too!  A passenger posted a picture and said he and others were terrified by the way they were all crammed together!!!  I guess they feel that wearing the masks is enough.  

Honored Contributor

I had to go the pharmacy yesterday.  It's inside a grocery store.  I was nervous and looking around confirmed why.  90% were not wearing masks or gloves.  No social distancing. Coughing and sneezing without covering mouths.  I got what I needed and left.  I am glad I wore a mask and latex gloves.

Our state reopened most things a week ago even though we haven't peaked and have hundreds of new cases every day.

Esteemed Contributor

We went to our parents' yesterday. Kept social distance, sat out in the yard.

On our way there, we drove by one of our neighbors, I counted at 15 cars in his yard. Then as we passed, I could see in to part of his back yard. So social distancing. Big party, I saw no masks. 

This so called second wave they talk of in the fall, I am beginning to question. If people continue to congregate in large numbers, we will have no second wave, the first one will never stop. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I just saw online that a flight with one of the major airlines had a totally packed plane!  All this talk of saying they are going to leave the middle seat empty and are going to make sure planes are not as full, and flights will be safer, etc., --- I guess that's a bunch of lies, too!  A passenger posted a picture and said he and others were terrified by the way they were all crammed together!!!  I guess they feel that wearing the masks is enough.  

@AngelPuppy1 

I guess this airline was more concerned about their financial well-being rather than passenger safety....I dont understand why they couldnt compromise a bit....but the old saying is true...."follow the money"...thats where the mindset is.Woman Sad  I understand people cant hold up in their homes forever, we need businesses to survive and people need to work, but just some common sense precautions would be nice!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt 

Yes, agreed!  But, the lies and fake promises!  People are so worried and on edge right now and with good reason!  No one knows what is true or not.  Conflicting stories all over the place.  It was --- close everything up, stay home --- then --- boom --- open everything up and no safety net!  I guess the bottom line, now matter what they say, is money over health! 

Honored Contributor

@CalminHeart 

That's terrible -- I mean about the no mask thing!  Just because things are opening up --- is that a reason to just ditch the masks and all precautions???  I don't think this is being reasonable at all.  As I have said yet again too many times to even count ---- What IS wrong with people???? 

Esteemed Contributor

Given that some governors are not adhering to the administration's guidelines and that people are not following social distance rules, we will likely be in for tragedy. I have heard some officials say that many seniors would be willing to sacrifice their lives to fix the economy. I can't speak for others, but I can say that I am not one of those seniors...neither are any of my friends. It's an absurd contention. 

The number of dead is rising alarmingly. The latest prediction is close to 140,000 corona deaths by early August. No amount of wishful or magical thinking will change the facts. This bug is extremely contagious. For some it can be deadly. How much risk are we williñg to take?