Honored Contributor

Re: It Shouldn't Be So Hard to Give Clothes Away . . .

@Carmie wrote:

I ran into the same type of problem when I retired.  I first donated my work clothing that was in great condition to the Purple Heart organization that helps Vets.

I held back my expensive clothing and suits.  I had over 30 suits some light weight and some for winter that were wool.

I called around and no one wanted them. It seems very few women wear suits anymore, not even for job interviews.  Most work places allow more casual wear.  In frustration, I donated the rest of what I had to the Purple Heart also along with shoes... some that have never been worn and designer handbags.

I was glad to have more closet room.

And that's really a shame too.    It's not what I experienced.    The women we helped didn't care, they just wanted nice clean clothes, even if it was a bit out of style.   It may not be what they would wear every day, but they really loved the nice clothing to make that first impression.

Honored Contributor

Here locally they closed several Goodwill and DAV stores. When the DAV store was about to close, they put up a sign on their door stating the date of closing. I asked the clerk why the store was closing and she said their store was becoming a huge dumping ground for people and there wasn't enough DAV personnel to handing it all. There was a huge mountain of clothes outside around the back of the building. It was shocking. A lot of the donated clothes were going to landfills because there wasn't enough room for it there. 

Now I go to a local church to give my donations.

Respected Contributor

@Its Me LuLuBelle2  When I retied I made the mistake of donating to Goodwill.  I wanted the items to get into the hands of those who could not afford to buy. The next time, I was able to connect with local agencies to donate to the shelter for battered women but had to coordinate through the social service agency because the location of the shelter was secret. 

When I had the okay to deliver the items to the place I had to arrive on time and sign a non-disclosure form.  I understood that for the safety of those in the shelter their location could not be just given out.

Honored Contributor

People of all economic levels shop Goodwill and other thrift stores.  The donations may be given with good intentions but the clothes may not necessarily end up with women who are homeless or in shelters.

If one wants to designate their donations the suggstions here have been very informative and helpful.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

In my town, we have two huge banks of donation bins for organizations that use the textiles. 

So things like my old bath rugs and stained clothing, you can donate to those and they use the textiles for other things.

I think one of them is called Planet Aid.  

I still wear suits to work.  It is getting more and more difficult to find them.  They are generally at the department stores in larger malls.  My local Macys does not carry and suits.  Occasionally in the spring they will have the Calvin Klein, et al sheath dresses and the black skirt with color jacket.  

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

When I retired, I donated all my “corporate clothes” to Salvation Army and Goodwill.
Honored Contributor

Authorities are going to be very protective of ANY info for battered women shelters.  You may want to contact the local police, TV station and ask them to have someone contact you.

Saving time & trouble. If I offend you, I am sorry.
Honored Contributor

I think every city and large town has a charity that will gladly accept clothes for women who are getting back into the workforce.  Google "dress for success" with the name of your city or town.

Respected Contributor

@Scooby Doo wrote:

In my area the women's shelter is connected to the YWCA.   They accept clothing.  Another organization is called Dress for Success.   This is the one I donated to.

Check wirh your VA.  My DD works there and she says they need clothing for vets trying to get back into society. 

@Scooby Doo

Never thought of the VA in all the suggestions I have made which included the ones already posted !  Thanks, will add to my list.

Some churches will also post info for homeless men who need warm clothing this time of year.  Someone will pick up the drop offs or call you.

One new idea: since colleges are opening mini food banks for students, there probably is a recruiting office who can help students who need interview or internship professional attire.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Esteemed Contributor

We have bins for textiles in our area like those @VaBelle35 mentioned. Ours mention Special Olympics on them.  I called them about pillows. They said yes, they’ll take them. 

Keepin' it real.