Trusted Contributor

Re: It Shouldn't Be So Hard to Give Clothes Away . . .

@Its Me LuLuBelle2  Sometimes colleges especially community colleges,  offer  job placement counselling services and partner with organizations such as dress for success. You may want to check with colleges in your area, social services may know of some organizations  such as womens shelters. Some churches in your area may know of someone in need also.

Respected Contributor

what we think & paid for our treaures is not what they feel, yes just let it go and hope whoever gets it enjoys it too.  Just let go of it and hope for the best of the new owner.Let go and move on I know this is hard but understand what we love maybe someone doesn't. Just like selling a house they all make changes, after sold we have no say. once things left you then you have no say what happens. Enjoy the giving the clothes away but what happens after that is out of your hands

Honored Contributor

We did a donation drive at work for Dressed for Success during Women's History Month earlier this year and we ended up having a lot of donations and they allowed us to ship the items to them because we missed the cut off date for delivery.

They are great to work with and give you a very detailed list of specifics on what they need and everything has to have dry cleaning tags on it when you donate.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

already getting a pile for the vets coming soon. They give us bags & ready to fill them. Just slowly getting it all together. 

Honored Contributor

I ran into the same type of problem when I retired.  I first donated my work clothing that was in great condition to the Purple Heart organization that helps Vets.

I held back my expensive clothing and suits.  I had over 30 suits some light weight and some for winter that were wool.

I called around and no one wanted them.  It seems very few women wear suits anymore, not even for job interviews.  Most work places allow more casual wear.  In frustration, I donated the rest of what I had to the Purple Heart also along with shoes... some that have never been worn and designer handbags.

I was glad to have more closet room.

Honored Contributor

When mom died we donated her clothes to the Clothes Closet at her church.  Churches are always assisting people in need.

Honored Contributor

I retired 2.5 years ago.  I gave my suits and a lot of clothes to DAV and some to a local shelter that helps women get back on their feet (including getting jobs).  They were thrilled with them.  DAV even came to pick them up.

I like supporting DAV because  my son is active duty and gearing up for his 5th deployment.  He's been training his soldiers for a few months now and who knows where they'll end up.  Our veterans deserve all the help they can get.

Honored Contributor

@Its Me LuLuBelle2  Men's Wearhouse has annual suit drives which are not exclusive to men's suits.  They attained over 18,000 articles of  women's business attire this year.

DH donated several suits for men but they do collect women's wear, too.

Lots of good suggestions here. 

You are a good person to think of others.  Bless you.Heart

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

If you call the United Way, they can probably get you the name of an organization that will take your clothing.  How very nice of you to think of others.

Honored Contributor

Off the top of my head, I can think of 3 organizations locally that run thrift stores to profit their various charities.

For example, The Salvation Army.   But I would not randomly drop off a box of your beautiful clothing.   I would contact a manager for a direct donation.   They may have a separate area set aside to allow women in need to choose from, rather than the entire store.

We have a huge woman's shelter here called the Lovelady Center.   They also run their own thrift store but I  know they would love to have a direct donation of career clothing.   The residents are there for a variety of reasons.  Maybe you can find something like that in your area.

Each year our Sunday School class picks a project and a few years ago we choose to help a local women's shelter.    So many of these women made one poor decision but it took many years for them to get back on their feet and they were so humble & grateful.   Thank you so much for your generosity.