Valued Contributor

It Shouldn't Be So Hard to Give Clothes Away . . .

I retired 3 years ago.  Every job I've ever had was one where I had to dress professionally.  The number of beautiful suits I own is ridiculous.  I freely admit, I love clothes.  Always have, always will.  I've been donating a lot of my things to Salvation Army/Goodwill.  Not junk, not stained, not anything I wouldn't wear myself but no longer have need for and don't wear.  Dress slacks, blouses, sweaters, blazers.  All in great condition  But the dozens of beautiful suits I own I would like to donate to women's shelters for women who have jobs, have escaped abusive situations and truly need clothes as they were forced to leave their belongings behind.  Needless to say, for obvious reasons, you can't just look up on Google, "Battered Women's Shelters in My Area."  So I've been calling churches, Social Services and explaining I have beautiful clothes I'd like to donate to working women in need.  Can I bring them to you and you hook up with them them?  Ah, no.  Why?  I just don't get it.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks, LuLu

Regular Contributor

Re: It Shouldn't Be So Hard to Give Clothes Away . . .

[ Edited ]

@Its Me LuLuBelle2

Not sure where you are located but you may want to Google

Dressforsucess.org

Also, check with local consignment shops and ask where they might donate.

Valued Contributor

@Sassealassea wrote:

@Its Me LuLuBelle2

Not sure where you are located but you may want to Google

Dressforsucess.org

Also, check with local consignment shops and ask where they might donate.

@Sassealassea, Thank you!  I'll look them up.  I have gone to a few local consignment shops to find they are very particular about the "season" the clothes can be worn.  I in no way want to profit - strictly donate.  It seems to baffle some that I just want to give my things away with no strings attached.

Frequent Contributor

If you happen to live in the Washington, DC area there is a similar organization called Suited for Change.

Respected Contributor

In my area the women's shelter is connected to the YWCA.   They accept clothing.  Another organization is called Dress for Success.   This is the one I donated to.

Check wirh your VA.  My DD works there and she says they need clothing for vets trying to get back into society. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Its Me LuLuBelle2 wrote:

I retired 3 years ago.  Every job I've ever had was one where I had to dress professionally.  The number of beautiful suits I own is ridiculous.  I freely admit, I love clothes.  Always have, always will.  I've been donating a lot of my things to Salvation Army/Goodwill.  Not junk, not stained, not anything I wouldn't wear myself but no longer have need for and don't wear.  Dress slacks, blouses, sweaters, blazers.  All in great condition  But the dozens of beautiful suits I own I would like to donate to women's shelters for women who have jobs, have escaped abusive situations and truly need clothes as they were forced to leave their belongings behind.  Needless to say, for obvious reasons, you can't just look up on Google, "Battered Women's Shelters in My Area."  So I've been calling churches, Social Services and explaining I have beautiful clothes I'd like to donate to working women in need.  Can I bring them to you and you hook up with them them?  Ah, no.  Why?  I just don't get it.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks, LuLu

@Its Me LuLuBelle2 Law enforcement in your area should know where the battered women’s shelters are. Call them.

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

I was in the same predicament.  What I did was go to my local police station (I already knew I would have gotten the brush off over the phone).  I told the desk clerk (PO) that I needed to speak w/a captain or anyone "in an office."  I ended up speaking w/the chief of police.

Advised "her" I would like to donate my "professional" clothing items to women in shelters and/or in need who need clothing for interviews and/or jobs. 

The Chief took my name & number.  Same day I was contacted by an agency who did that sort of thing.  That afternoon, they came to my house to collect my items.

I was informed by this same agency that the Salvation Army does the same thing.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Occasional Contributor

I don’t know where you live but here in northern VA there is an organization called Women Giving Back which takes donations for women getting back into the job force 

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Its Me LuLuBelle2. Another idea I have donated via 

Amazon Give Back Box.  I packed up three large boxes and they arrange free shipping labels.  Google for more info.

Honored Contributor

It won’t be hard to pass your suits along to women who need them once you find the right group.   

Our community has an organization called Second Chance for Women who gladly accept this type of donation.   They have a very organized shop where women in need can pick out clothing, shoes, and accessories.    

If you have a Staffing Service in your area, they may know the contact information for a group like this in your area.   

If you have a college or university in your area, contact the department that assists students with job placement to see  if you can donate items to students going into a professional setting.