Valued Contributor

Re: It Shouldn't Be So Hard to Give Clothes Away . . .

You gals are the best!  Thank you.  It never entered my mind to go to law enforcement   They sure would know where to bring items.  Thank you again!  So many wonderful suggestions and so very much appreciated.  LuLu  

Honored Contributor

i dont know where you live, but in the baltimore area we have suited to succeed and maryland new directions (they take men and women items.) for many organizations you can also ship directly to them if they are not in your area.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@Its Me LuLuBelle2  I just want to thank you for your generosity and kind heart.  I think once you find the right organization, they will be so grateful for your donations.

Respected Contributor

My husband retired 2yrs ago beautiful exepensive suits tailored to him but we had to get rid of it and just gave to Goodwill, my daughter still working gave up brand names of nice clothes to consignment shops she got $25 so sad. Yes, you never get a good price even if the clothes are in great condition. I just said well you enjoyed it and take it as a lost.  Husband will never wear them again so just feel you enjoyed & let it go sad to say it. Thanks for the reminder got to get into husband's closet and get rid of more shirts & ties. Why he hangs on to things I don't know. Let go move on it's sad I know. 

Regular Contributor

I would highly recommend Dress for Success. They especially need quality career clothing for their clients. Suits, dresses, jackets, sweaters, skirts, blouses, scarves, belts, shoes, and jewelry are appreciated. I took a tour of a Dress for Success facility this past summer. They offered an array of services to women trying to better their lives, providing them with both hair and make-up services, career counseling, and an upscale outfit for interviews. The clients were treated with the utmost dignity and respect. Many of the women served by Dress for Success are single mothers. Once employed, the client is invited back to select a second career outfit.You might want to see if you have a branch in your area.

Respected Contributor

Your thoughtful outreach has gotten some great responses. I also was going to suggest Dress for Success. In our area I think Talbots has worked with them to collect such clothing in conjunction with one of their sales. Such a great idea.
Valued Contributor

@Twins Mom wrote:
Your thoughtful outreach has gotten some great responses. I also was going to suggest Dress for Success. In our area I think Talbots has worked with them to collect such clothing in conjunction with one of their sales. Such a great idea.

@Twins Mom, Probably 1/2 of said suits are from Talbots.  Dress for Success sounds like a great organization.  I will check them out along with contacting local law enforcement.  Again, thank you to you all.  I would like for our sisters in need to benefit.  A very, very long time ago I was one of those sisters - with no where to turn.  That's why it's so very important for me to help other women in the same situtation I once found myself in and was fortunate enough to climb myself out of.  Peace, LuLu

Respected Contributor

Dress for Success is a great organization. Just keep in mind the needs vary by location.  For example, one is located in a nearby city with several drop off points, and items may be boxed. They specify contemporary business clothing not more than 5 years old. They have partnered with a Dry Clean chain for drop offs in the suburbs. 

Another affiliate in the heart of Boston is very specific. No clothing over 4 years old accepted, must be on hangers, and the suits must be ready for the client to wear when they visit as they may interview immediately following.  This location accepts shoes as well as handbags, scarves, jewelry and new packaged hosiery. Sizes of shoes and clothing are stated.

Donations must be dry cleaned.

Respected Contributor

what we value may not be their situation please understand that.

Regular Contributor

Please don't give to Goodwill. That is just a for-profit store. The CEO is the only that gets rich.