Respected Contributor

Re: It Costs A Lot To Eat The Recommended Amounts of Fruits/Veggies/Nuts

What do you use in place of olive oil?
Respected Contributor

On 6/18/2014 chessylady said: What do you use in place of olive oil?

Whole Foods sells non oil salad dressing and I buy the pomegranate. I also put Raw Coconut Vinegar in it as well as an avocado. Sometimes all I want in it is the avocado..I put a whole one in there.

Respected Contributor

On 6/18/2014 MJ 12 said:
On 6/18/2014 esmeraldagooch said:

Yes, the soldiers on assistance is a travesty. http://themilitarywallet.com/dod-to-close-us-commissaries/

I don't even understand why you are posting this "article" - first it's old, and no action has been taken. They SHOULD be looking for ways to streamline operations at Commissaries, like every facet of our government should be doing.

"Several recent articles have mentioned the Department of Defense is considering the closure of US based Commissaries as a way to slash hundreds of millions of dollars from defense budgets."

The reason I posted it is to show how out of touch they are to the plight of our underpaid military to even consider this.

Honored Contributor

On 6/16/2014 KittyLouWhoToo said:

I have noticed that junk isn't exactly cheap either.

I notice junk can be cheap. At the dollar store, one can get a big box of crackers for a dollar-or chips or cookies. Those fill one up--junk--but can be filling.

Produce is so expensive. I can totally see that part of the reason for the obesity in this Country is due to how expensive it is to eat healthy. I spend a fortune on produce at the grocery, and I rarely buy organic. It is far more expensive to eat healthy than to eat junk. I don't know how large families do it now--as far as eating healthy and paying for it. It's just 2 of us, and I know I spend a lot of money on fruits and veggies and lean seafood/chicken, etc.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

I also find sales on boxes of pasta that have seasonings in them for $1.00. That is a regular sale at our grocery, and that can be filling. It's all refined carbs and it's cheap to make them. Heck--2 of the boxes could feed a family of 4 for a few bucks. Buying fruits and veggies is far more expensive. I think a lot of "junk" food CAN be cheap.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"