Respected Contributor

Re: Issue Again with My Neighbor

OP--It appears this situation is totally out of control and will only get worse because of your neighbor's many needs. You will end up in the middle of a nasty situation with no authority to act. This happened to me once when my psychotic neighbor set her house on fire. Thank God the police and fire intervened, but ALL the neighbors had enabled her too much.

OK, tell the neighbor to call a geriatric care manager and pay to have an evaluation done on herself. The nurse or social worker will do an eval. and recommend a plan of care. Referrals are by zip code at National Association of Professional Geriatric Care Managers. Then an objective care manager will decide what she needs. If she does not take your advice to do this, you are off the hook. If she doesn't pay for a private eval, you can always call Adult Protective Services anonymously 24/7.

When I worked in the field, it was just a rule of thumb that most people tend to minimize what can be a dangerous situation.

Trusted Contributor

Just remember someday you will be old and lonely as well. A few minutes out of your day just might add something to her day that without it, she would have nothing. Even a quick hi and a few minutes could mean alot, and dont be suprised if you just might find a few spare minutes in your day that will be ok to lose to her. Sometimes it is about others and not just ourselves..give it some thought Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

On 1/15/2015 Shop Till you Drop said:

Just remember someday you will be old and lonely as well. A few minutes out of your day just might add something to her day that without it, she would have nothing. Even a quick hi and a few minutes could mean alot, and dont be suprised if you just might find a few spare minutes in your day that will be ok to lose to her. Sometimes it is about others and not just ourselves..give it some thought Smiley Happy

The neighbor wants much more than a few minutes a day, as the OP stated.