Honored Contributor

Re: Israeli protection from Pfizer vaccine drops from 94% to 64%. Possibly due to Delta variant.

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I just this morning read a different outcome in a study in the Los Angeles Times from the study in Israel. I think that are several variables among these studies.

@suzyQ3 @I'd post the original study but it is still in Hebrew with no translation yet. 

I'm doubting you, @Mindy D. I just don't think we know enough yet to take any one study and run with it.

I'm sticking with what the experts have said so far: If you are fully vaccinated, you are very unlikely to get any of the variants so far; and if you do, it it is very likely that you will not get seriously ill or die.

@Mindy Dof course, I meant to say "I'm NOT doubting you..."

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Israeli protection from Pfizer vaccine drops from 94% to 64%. Possibly due to Delta variant.

@Mindy DI just watched the news and they said the same thing for Texas. 

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I just this morning read a different outcome in a study in the Los Angeles Times from the study in Israel. I think that are several variables among these studies.

@suzyQ3 @I'd post the original study but it is still in Hebrew with no translation yet. 

I'm doubting you, @Mindy D. I just don't think we know enough yet to take any one study and run with it.

I'm sticking with what the experts have said so far: If you are fully vaccinated, you are very unlikely to get any of the variants so far; and if you do, it it is very likely that you will not get seriously ill or die.

@suzyQ3 @I'm only reporting about this one study. There's nothing to run with. More studies or scientific evaluation of the results could affect the impact of the study's findings. Experts have been giving their advice based on previous studies. Expert advice might change based to the results of this study,  the spread of the Delta variant and any future recommendations from Pfizer. Expert advice changes as the body of science knowledges changes. The latest study is a joint effort of the Israel government and Pfizer Bion Tech. No recommendations have come from the Israel government or Pfizer yet. Pfizer has been using Israel to mount a continuing real world study of the effectiveness of their vaccine in a large population. Based solely on this, you still are very unlikely to become infected if you are fully vaccinated with Pfizer. What's new is that, while much less likely than if unvaccinated, you, if vaccinated with Pfizer, would be more likely to become infected with the Delta variant as compared with your likelihood of infection from other variants. To summarize, Pfizer vaccination still protects against all COVID variants, but provides less, though still good, protection against the Delta variant, at least in Israel. 

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

Did you know there are two Delta variants? Delta and Delta Plus. 

@Mindy D   Yes.  The two have been reported for a while now.

Thank you for the report on Israel.  It opens up more avenues for discussion.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Instead of laughing at others and projecting harm for those who have declined vaccination-we just do not know every person and why each person may have declined.

The same with masks.  Nobody knows if a person has been vaccinated because one wears a mask or not.

Here we go again.  The show is getting stale.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Cakers3 wrote:

Instead of laughing at others and projecting harm for those who have declined vaccination-we just do not know every person and why each person may have declined.

The same with masks.  Nobody knows if a person has been vaccinated because one wears a mask or not.

@Cakers3 @My post is solely about the real world effectiveness of the Pfizer vaccine in Israel and about the effect the Delta variant has on the effectiveness of this vaccine. My report is not about choosing or not choosing to get  vaccinated, masking, or anything else. Any discussion of vaccine hesitancy or judgements about individuals choices to vaccinate, would be off topic. The only way this thread could be stale is if people veer off topic. 

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

Israel had most residents vaccinated early in the Pandemic. Perhaps immunity decreases over time.

Some can't be vaccinated, others who have been vaccinated didn't produce a sufficient number of antibodies.

Some who decided against getting the vaccine are concerned about the handling, has it been kept at the proper temperature, and the long term effect which is unknown.

Vaccinated or not, the prudent are still being cautious, staying out of crowds and wearing a mask.

@occasionalrain @Hopefully, Israel and Pfizer will check the lot numbers of the vaccines against the break through cases in order to determine if there was anything wrong with any lots of the vaccine that could have led to the vaccine losing potency. 

Honored Contributor

Israel, being a small country, didn't have the mass inoculation centers with students, volunteers, retired nurses...distributing shots, so less likely mistakes would have happened.

There were incidents here that were reported, and for every one that was reported, I suspect there were half a dozen covered up.

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Cakers3 @My post is solely about the real world effectiveness of the Pfizer vaccine in Israel and about the effect the Delta variant has on the effectiveness of this vaccine. My report is not about choosing or not choosing to get  vaccinated, masking, or anything else. Any discussion of vaccine hesitancy or judgements about individuals choices to vaccinate, would be off topic. The only way this thread could be stale is if people veer off topic. 

@Mindy DI doubt that she was responding to you. I'll say no more about her post.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@Drythe 

No "c theory", it's been talked about for months and without a narrative no one is going back this fall for another dose.