Honored Contributor

Re: Israeli protection from Pfizer vaccine drops from 94% to 64%. Possibly due to Delta variant.

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I just this morning read a different outcome in a study in the Los Angeles Times from the study in Israel. I think that are several variables among these studies.

@suzyQ3 @I'd post the original study but it is still in Hebrew with no translation yet. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Israeli protection from Pfizer vaccine drops from 94% to 64%. Possibly due to Delta variant.

Did you know there are two Delta variants? Delta and Delta Plus. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

In Israel, vaccination with the Pfizer vaccine was less effective in prevention of getting COVID. 64% fully vaccinated Israelis from June to the beginning of July were protected according to the government. This figure was a drop from the previous figure of 94%. The Israel Health Ministry said this drop was seen in conjunction with spread of the Delta variant and coincided with the lifting of restrictions regarding the virus which began in June. The vaccinations still demonstrated good protection against severe illness, however, the prevention of hospitalization fell from the previous 97% to 93%. Among vaccinated persons there were far more infections, with 55% of those newly infected being vaccinated. As of today, there were 35 serious cases compared to 21 serious cases on June 19th. The Israel government will be studying those vaccinated persons that contracted COVID, looking at factors such as the age, dates of inoculations and underlying health conditions. About 57% of Israelis are fully vaccinated with Pfizer. It does seem that the vaccine offers protection against Delta, but not at the same level as it has against other variants. The Israeli government is considering reinstating restrictions such as mask wearing inside public places and social distancing. 

Source?

@ThinkingOutLoud I have six sources. All the sources got their information  from the original source, which is in Hebrew, or I'd give you that. I'll still name the Hebrew source, but it isn't in translation yet. I'll try to give you my sources in a while but they are all online news agencies. I'll be back. 
@ThinkingOutLoud 

Bloomberg

Wall Street Journal

Yahoo Finance

Reuters 

Times of Israel

Fortune

Ynet News (Israel) In Hebrew, using Data from Israel Health Ministry

Here's one of the titles:

Reuters

Israel sees drop in Pfizer vaccine protection against infections, still strong in severe illness

Respected Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

As long as there are large numbers of unvaccinated people in the same geographic area the variants will continue to mutate making themselves more viable. This is watching evolution in real time.

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

What about Delta Business Class?

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@On It wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

As long as there are large numbers of unvaccinated people in the same geographic area the variants will continue to mutate making themselves more viable. This is watching evolution in real time.

@On It @Yes it is. 

Honored Contributor

Israel had most residents vaccinated early in the Pandemic. Perhaps immunity decreases over time.

Some can't be vaccinated, others who have been vaccinated didn't produce a sufficient number of antibodies.

Some who decided against getting the vaccine are concerned about the handling, has it been kept at the proper temperature, and the long term effect which is unknown.

Vaccinated or not, the prudent are still being cautious, staying out of crowds and wearing a mask.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

In Israel, vaccination with the Pfizer vaccine was less effective in prevention of getting COVID. 64% fully vaccinated Israelis from June to the beginning of July were protected according to the government. This figure was a drop from the previous figure of 94%. The Israel Health Ministry said this drop was seen in conjunction with spread of the Delta variant and coincided with the lifting of restrictions regarding the virus which began in June. The vaccinations still demonstrated good protection against severe illness, however, the prevention of hospitalization fell from the previous 97% to 93%. Among vaccinated persons there were far more infections, with 55% of those newly infected being vaccinated. As of today, there were 35 serious cases compared to 21 serious cases on June 19th. The Israel government will be studying those vaccinated persons that contracted COVID, looking at factors such as the age, dates of inoculations and underlying health conditions. About 57% of Israelis are fully vaccinated with Pfizer. It does seem that the vaccine offers protection against Delta, but not at the same level as it has against other variants. The Israeli government is considering reinstating restrictions such as mask wearing inside public places and social distancing. 

Source?

@ThinkingOutLoud 

As of 51 min. ago FFOX news is carrying it.  

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I just this morning read a different outcome in a study in the Los Angeles Times from the study in Israel. I think that are several variables among these studies.

@suzyQ3 @I'd post the original study but it is still in Hebrew with no translation yet. 

I'm doubting you, @Mindy D. I just don't think we know enough yet to take any one study and run with it.

I'm sticking with what the experts have said so far: If you are fully vaccinated, you are very unlikely to get any of the variants so far; and if you do, it it is very likely that you will not get seriously ill or die.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@occasionalrain wrote:

Israel had most residents vaccinated early in the Pandemic. Perhaps immunity decreases over time.

Some can't be vaccinated, others who have been vaccinated didn't produce a sufficient number of antibodies.

Some who decided against getting the vaccine are concerned about the handling, has it been kept at the proper temperature, and the long term effect which is unknown.

Vaccinated or not, the prudent are still being cautious, staying out of crowds and wearing a mask.

@occasionalrain wrote:

@occasionalrain @The Israelis and Pfizer will be checking vaccination dates and antibodies to determine which variables could have played a part in the change in numbers. They will be sequencing some of the viral DNA from vaccinated and unvaccinated patients to determine if they were, in fact, infected with Delta or Delta Plus. They are also checking age, health status and underlying conditions.