Honored Contributor

Re: Isn't There a Way To Remove a Thread Entirely?

[ Edited ]

I now think you're asking why the threads aren't removed completely when the entire thread is still there but closed for commenting.  The moderators have said in the past that often there is good information there, but the thread turned argumentative or political or some other reason to close it.  That's not always the case, but it is sometimes.

Before I click on a thread I always look to see who the last person who commented was.  If it was a moderator, sometimes I go to the last post first to see if the thread was closed.  Sometimes I want to read it anyway and don't do that.

Edited to say:  How could I have forgotten that when they close a thread there's a lock to the left of the thread title?  That's how you can easily tell that it's closed before opening it.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

The good thing is that they usually drop down pretty fast.

But it's pretty easy to tell if they're closed.  There is the lock, and then if you open the thread there are no 'reply' buttons.

Esteemed Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

Doesn't bother me at all. I hardly see them. If I do I pass them by, like I do many threads that don't interest me.

They don't bother me either, and the reason for keeping them up makes sense.

Honestly, I scroll through so much here that I barely pay any attention to the locked and "moved" threads.

Esteemed Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

The good thing is that they usually drop down pretty fast.

But it's pretty easy to tell if they're closed.  There is the lock, and then if you open the thread there are no 'reply' buttons.

Yes, you can't reply if there's no "reply" button.  Sometimes I'd like to add my thoughts, but can't.  No time or energy wasted, though, since it's pretty clear when a thread is closed for commenting

Esteemed Contributor

I pass by and ignore the posts that I don't like or find offensive, etc.

Honored Contributor

An OP can delete an entire thread if no one has responded to it yet.  I have done it several times.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986