Honored Contributor

Isn't It Strange?! (re sleep)

[ Edited ]

Everytime I can remember,

my mother and aunts were up at what I thought to be crazy hours-3am seemed to be the magical time.

Now, it's me. I can sleep exactly 3-4 hours then wake up. Sometimes I try to go back to sleep but usually get up, then after a few hours go back to bed.

So weird. I guess this is just what happens?

Except if I go on a plane to visit family, that first night I can sleep 8 hours like a "normal" person! Maybe cause after a long 24 hour journey of packing and traveling, I've done my best and can sleep.

My mother and I used to say (jokingly) I'll call you at 3am!

But we were probably both up!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

Re: Isn't It Strange?! (re sleep)

@on the bay I'm exactly the same way! 

Here it is (4 am) and I've been up for about an hour now.  I fell asleep  around 10pm and slept soundly until 3.  This has been happening for a while now and I just don't now why.  It's frustrating and I would like to get at least 6-7 hours of continuous sleep!

Instead I usually sleep for 3-5 hours, I wake up and either read or go online, then I can get a bit drowsy and go back to sleep for a few more hours.

Honored Contributor

I'm up and it's 3:20. Every now and then I'll sleep in until 5.

When I worked, I got up at 4 am.

We are so tired at night and in bed by 9.

Honored Contributor

I would be seeing a doctor, i did that years ago.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

When I was a young person and adult, I could sleep like crazy and nothing would wak me up!  Now that I am old, I sleep not well at all.  I thought after I retired I would be able to sleep in all the time.  Ha -- and double Ha.  I wake up quite a few times through the night and toss and turn.  This hurts or that hurts or nature calls.  I hear everything.  I finally get up usually between 4:00, 4:30 and for a really late wakeup maybe 5:00.  It's nature cruel joke on you when you get old I think.  You have all the time to sleep and then you can't!!!! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

Not everyone requires eight hours sleep regardless of what "they" say.  I go to bed late and get up early.  My body only needs five or six hours of sleep tops and that is fine with me.  I'm not tired during th day and never take naps.  Everyone is different.

Super Contributor

I ‘m glad I’m not alone! This is my routine snd wonder if it’s bld pressure meds or cholesterol med . Told my husband it’s like I take a nap and then up around 3:00 or 4:00.a.m 💤
Honored Contributor

I am a horrible sleeper. 

I can usually (but not always) get to sleep pretty easily. Then I wake up. Could be 11:30. Could be 1 or 2.  Then Immawake for at least a few hours. Minimum. Then I usually fall back to sleep till like 5, never last 6.  It's ridiculous.

And if there are storms or I'm in a hotel room which is out of the norm, forget it. I can't sleep. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Frequent Contributor

Exactly my story.  Ii was worried.  that this was   a. prep for the big sleep  we all face .

Trusted Contributor

I do this most every night as well, I usually wake up at about 2 or 230 and fall back to sleep at 330 or 4. So frustrating! I guess this isn't that odd since so many here say the same thing, so do a circle of my friends, we joke about having a warm milk party.

Critter Lover! (especially cats!)