Honored Contributor

Re: Isis blows up 2000 year old temple in Palmyra

This is from the article esmeraldogooch posted.

Islamic State fighters have destroyed an ancient temple in the world-renowned Syrian antiquities city of Palmyra, the latest effort to purge the area from what the militant group considers to be un-Islamic.

It's difficult to wrap my head around the fact these brutal murderers believe they are fighting a religious war.  What I see as a criminal act, they believe is part of their holy war.

So much is destroyed in and by war.  Look what the bombs did in WWII and Viet Nam.  For that matter look at Nagasaki and Hiroshima.

Super Contributor

Super Contributor

I have to wonder...who and how will settle the problem of these very bad, bad boys.

Perhaps detox and rehab at the U.S. taxpayer expense?  Maybe more prayer or free food.  Maybe jobs, jobs, jobs...shovel ready for them..

Certainly our military have done an outstanding job of keeping them at bay on our shores..but for how long do you think?

I would i.d. as many as possible & then i.d. their other male family members & and then bam.  Watch the b s stop.. Donald has similar ideas.

Trusted Contributor

This is horrible. All historical artifacts and buildings belong to all mankind. It should be off limits.

I had the priveledge to see Palmyra when my parents took us on a very interesting road trip from Beirut. It is a little off the beaten path and was still quite primitive at the time.

These people will not listen to reason from anyone. That makes it very difficult for us to know how to handle them. We always think we can take the high road, but I really don't think that will work with this group.

Esteemed Contributor

Today a temple in Palmyra, tommorrow a church in?

Unless they are stopped more than historical buildings will be destroyed.

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

Tragic!

Super Contributor

John....who do you think should stop them. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Nothing is going to change for the better.  Not now, not ever.  Unless there is some sort of miracle. Or planetary mishap/meteor.  That's about it.  Sorry to say.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@IndiaRose wrote:

John....who do you think should stop them. 

That I will leave up to those that have been proven to make sound military decisions. To me those are Military leaders, not bureaucrats that have zero personal military experience.

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@june22 wrote:

What Ya Gonna Do?     Call Ghost Busters!

It's probably just me, but I don't see anything funny or flip about this destruction of history.

As for what can be done about it? I don't see any viable specific "military" action that would prevent further destruction. The best I hope for is furthering the education and enlightenment of the citizenry so that THEY will not stand for it and will do what they can to prevent it. It's all part and parcel of the fundamentalist screed that when enshrined by law forces absolute adherence to barbaric laws that have nothing to do with any true religion or spiritual endeavor.

I have some things that get to me in a very visceral way. For example, I simply cannot read or look at anything to do with the killing or maiming of pelicans. I know...sort of weird, huh? It makes me nauseated. This type of destruction of antiquities, sites and momuments that speak to the amazing capabilities of man through the ages, is in that same category. I just want to vomit when I hear about it.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland