Respected Contributor

Re: Is your house as clean as it used to be or have you lowered your standards?

Close to 70 now, I run my portable Dyson every AM when DH goes to the office and throw a load or two into the washer as I do my puzzle and word game. The dishwasher gets run twice a week and the rest of the house is beat and organized. The clutter is nonexistent because I don't let it happen on the rancher's first and only floor!!! This contributes to "neatness" ; however, as to the downstairs rec room and back basement--that's DH's domain. I keep my eyes closed as I pass through it!!! My standards have always been high: now I find easier ways to achieve them---e.g., the steamer machine since I can't kneel to do the floors.
We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

On 5/9/2014 hckynut said:

Once my wife moved in with me and brought her feline with her? Then another feline and another? With at one time up to 13 of them, presently 11 indoor only, no way I even try to keep our home as spic and span as past decades. I am too much of a realist to think that is even possible.

Though cats do clean themselves, they do make a mess. They barf, they shed, they sometimes have potty accidents. They pass gas. Their cute little furry paws that walk through their litter box now walk on your countertops and onto your bed if you allow it. I have shut the door on some rooms in our house and they are kept shut 24/7 and those rooms are spotlessly clean. The hallway though seems to be a favorite barf zone. I told my husband a long time ago, I don't live in a barn and never had an interest in doing so. Too funny, as 2 rooms in our house definitely look like we do.

Super Contributor

my house has always been kept in order and as clean as possible with 4 males living here! i do not stress myself out about it like i used to but there is no way i can or will live in a mess! they KNOW how i am! they clean their rooms but not as i would and that is ok! most times i do not even have to say anything - they will tell me that they will clean there room when they get home and that is good enough for me now. i don't sweat the small stuff anymore! and as my father-in-law used to tell me - the world will not end if i don't have everything in order all the time.

Trusted Contributor

Love the replies, thanks to all! We remodeled our house from top to bottom several months which required packing everything up as if we were moving! The work is finished and looks beautiful, but I just don't have the time or energy to clean the unending film left behind, unpack everything and sort through and clean up the clutter. It really is overwhelming! So I've decided since we have family coming in two weeks my only alternative is to take a few days off from work and get this place back together. And THEN we'll hire someone to keep it that way! I realized long ago, as some of you have said, that life is too short to spend precious free time cleaning, and perfect is not necessary!
Respected Contributor

My house is always as clean as I can get it, but my work schedule makes the standard vary.

I keep things as tidy as possible and keep up with kitchen and bathrooms and laundry not matter what, but floor cleaning is hard and deep cleaning is more difficult, as it involves a lot more time, moving furniture, etc.

I am doing that this weekend. Smiley Happy And it does make me happy--

Honored Contributor

Uh..no. The only time it was spotless is when I was single. Once I married and had kids..... it all went downhill; even more so as the kids have grown. *sigh*

Contributor

It's difficult. I keep my home nice. I break it up so the wheel house is not cleaned in our efforts day. I tried cleaning peoe. Amazed what they think they are getting away with. Glass circles on.my tables, not dusting some end tables! Bathrooms not cleaned thoughly, counter in kitchen still left with crumbs! $100. Later. I break it up and it keeps me moving. My furniture I like it kept nice.
Super Contributor

I never lower my standards in cleaning or anything else.

Valued Contributor

{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}On 5/9/2014 ktlynam said:

I'd rather look at it not as lowering my standards, but raising my tolerance levels! Smile

I love that, my feelings exactly!

That's how we roll in the shire..
Super Contributor

I didn't have very high standards, except for the kitchen and bathrooms. I raised my standards once our kids were old enough to helpWink!

My SIL complained how her house has little toys everywhere... cars, Legos, army guys...

As the mom of two grown boys I told her to enjoy all that while it lasts. All too soon the toys will be gone and all will be tidy with no reminders of her little one living there anymore.