Honored Contributor

Re: 🚫Is your birthday on Facebook? That's a bad idea.🚫

[ Edited ]

Actually, Facebook does require factual, indentifying info.  There are specific, requirements to create/maintain an account.   Certainly, they don't monitor each account but they do use this policy if an account is reported or if we need Facebook to help us regain access to a locked account.   

While some people bypass this and use fake names, it's important to note:   If you get locked out of your account and can't find any way to get back in other than contacting Facebook, they will only provide access if you first give them actual proof of identity (such as government ID) which will have to match your account.   This won't matter if you don't mind losing access to that account, of course.   But if you've known anyone who went through this process, you know it's not easy to get back in.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

https://www.facebook.com/help/112146705538576

"Facebook is a community where people use their authentic identities. We require everyone to provide the first and last names they use in everyday life so that you always know who you're connecting with. This helps keep our community safe.

Please don't add any of these to your name:
  • Symbols, numbers, unusual capitalization, repeating characters or punctuation
  • Characters from multiple languages
  • Titles of any kind (ex: professional, religious)
  • Words or phrases in place of a name
  • Offensive or suggestive words of any kind
Other things to keep in mind:
  • The name you use should be the name your friends call you in everyday life and that our acceptable identification forms would show.
  • Nicknames can be used as a first or middle name if they're a variation of your authentic name (like Bob instead of Robert).
  • You can also list an additional name on your account (ex: maiden name, nickname, professional name).
  • Profiles are for individual use only. We offer Pages for professional personas, organizations and businesses.
  • Pretending to be anything or anyone isn't allowed.
If the name you use in everyday life isn’t listed on your account, please change your name. If you're unable to change it, learn more."

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Esteemed Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

Actually, Facebook does require factual, indentifying info.  There are specific, requirements to create/maintain an account.   Certainly, they don't monitor each account but they do use this policy if an account is reported or if we need Facebook to help us regain access to a locked account.   

While some people bypass this and use fake names, it's important to note:   If you get locked out of your account and can't find any way to get back in other than contacting Facebook, they will only provide access if you first give them actual proof of identity (such as government ID) which will have to match your account.   This won't matter if you don't mind losing access to that account, of course.   But if you've known anyone who went through this process, you know it's not easy to get back in.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

https://www.facebook.com/help/112146705538576

"Facebook is a community where people use their authentic identities. We require everyone to provide the first and last names they use in everyday life so that you always know who you're connecting with. This helps keep our community safe.

Please don't add any of these to your name:
  • Symbols, numbers, unusual capitalization, repeating characters or punctuation
  • Characters from multiple languages
  • Titles of any kind (ex: professional, religious)
  • Words or phrases in place of a name
  • Offensive or suggestive words of any kind
Other things to keep in mind:
  • The name you use should be the name your friends call you in everyday life and that our acceptable identification forms would show.
  • Nicknames can be used as a first or middle name if they're a variation of your authentic name (like Bob instead of Robert).
  • You can also list an additional name on your account (ex: maiden name, nickname, professional name).
  • Profiles are for individual use only. We offer Pages for professional personas, organizations and businesses.
  • Pretending to be anything or anyone isn't allowed.
If the name you use in everyday life isn’t listed on your account, please change your name. If you're unable to change it, learn more."

I know many people who don't use their actual names.  I've never heard of anyone getting locked out and not being allowed back in.  I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but I don't see it as anything terrible.  I can't imagine that most people would care very much.  It's easy enough to just start a new account if that's what they want to do.

If using a fake name (or a variation of their actual name) brings someone peace of mind, then I'm sure that small risk would be one that most of them would be willing to take.

People also change their names too.  I have one cousin who keeps changing the spelling of his actual name, just to be cute.  My nephew did it too.  Facebook never noticed/never cared.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NYC Susan wrote:

I know many people who don't use their actual names.  I've never heard of anyone getting locked out and not being allowed back in.  I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but I don't see it as anything terrible.  I can't imagine that most people would care very much.  It's easy enough to just start a new account if that's what they want to do.

If using a fake name (or a variation of their actual name) brings someone peace of mind, then I'm sure that small risk would be one that most of them would be willing to take.

People also change their names too.  I have one cousin who keeps changing the spelling of his actual name, just to be cute.  My nephew did it too.  Facebook never noticed/never cared.

As I said, I'm aware that people do this.   I also said as long as the people wouldn't mind it if they did lose access to the account, it's not a problem.   And, again, I stated that Facebook doesn't monitor this --- my remarks were directed to the situations in which an account is locked, and it's happening more now than before due to the flood of "Facebook cloning" incidents.   In many cases the wrong account is being reported by well-intentioned friends, and then the rightful owner has to contend with Facebook to get their original account restored to them.   

My post was responding to your comment, "There's no rule that any actual information has to be provided."   I do know people who lost access and it's a bear to get it back if we need Facebook's help.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Esteemed Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@NYC Susan wrote:

As I said, I'm aware that people do this.   I also said as long as the people wouldn't mind it if they did lose access to the account, it's not a problem.   And, again, I stated that Facebook doesn't monitor this --- my remarks were directed to the situations in which an account is locked, and it's happening more now than before due to the flood of "Facebook cloning" incidents.   In many cases the wrong account is being reported by well-intentioned friends, and then the rightful owner has to content with Facebook to get their original account restored to them.   

My post was responding to your comment, "There's no rule that any actual information has to be provided."   I do know people who lost access and it's a bear to get it back if we need Facebook's help.

Okay, I understand now.  My apologies for misunderstanding.  I'm dealing with a tense situation at the moment, and tried to divert myself, but clearly I shouldn't have been multi-tasking.

I think what I was saying re the "rule" is that it's not a hard and fast one re names.  I think we all know people who have been using fake names for years.  And it's easy enough to leave out other info, use a fake birthdate, etc.  So it's certainly possible to have and maintain a FB account without using any actual, true information.

My name on FB, btw, is my real name, because I love being found by former classmates, co-workers, etc.  My name here, however is not, since there's no need to use it.

My apologies again!

Honored Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

Okay, I understand now.  My apologies for misunderstanding.  I'm dealing with a tense situation at the moment, and tried to divert myself, but clearly I shouldn't have been multi-tasking.

I think what I was saying re the "rule" is that it's not a hard and fast one re names.  I think we all know people who have been using fake names for years.  And it's easy enough to leave out other info, use a fake birthdate, etc.  So it's certainly possible to have and maintain a FB account without using any actual, true information.

My name on FB, btw, is my real name, because I love being found by former classmates, co-workers, etc.  My name here, however is not, since there's no need to use it.

My apologies again!

Aw, thanks, @NYC Susan!Heart   No apology needed, I know the written word is a poor substitute for face-to-face conversation, but of course it's accepted.   You're a sweetheart.   I'm sorry you're dealing with a tense situation, and so here's a hug for you!  I hope you have a good evening.

Esteemed Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@NYC Susan wrote:

My apologies again!

Aw, thanks, @NYC Susan!Heart   No apology needed, I know the written word is a poor substitute for face-to-face conversation, but of course it's accepted.   You're a sweetheart.   I'm sorry you're dealing with a tense situation, and so here's a hug for you!  I hope you have a good evening.

Thank you, @dooBdoo.  I appreciate that so much.  You actually brought a tear to my eye.

You know how when things are really, really bad with real-life serious stuff, and you're trying to hold yourself together, and then someone does something nice, and the tears just flow?

Yes, that's what happened.  And I am grateful to you.  That little bear is beyond cute, and you were a bright light for me today.  Thank you so much.

Honored Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

@dooBdoo wrote:

NYC Susan wrote:  Okay, I understand now.  My apologies for misunderstanding.  I'm dealing with a tense situation at the moment, and tried to divert myself, but clearly I shouldn't have been multi-tasking.

My apologies again!

Thank you, @dooBdoo.  I appreciate that so much.  You actually brought a tear to my eye.

You know how when things are really, really bad with real-life serious stuff, and you're trying to hold yourself together, and then someone does something nice, and the tears just flow?

Yes, that's what happened.  And I am grateful to you.  That little bear is beyond cute, and you were a bright light for me today.  Thank you so much.

You're welcome, and thank you for this post (((@NYC Susan))).  Yes, I do know.  I'll be thinking of you and hoping all is well.Heart