Honored Contributor

Guess I am just not that sensitive to the word...doesn't bother me in the least.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Honored Contributor

@hyacinth003

I don't say either word, but sure hear them lots.. and lots.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@noodleann wrote:

It is just as effective to say something "stinks" and you were "ticked off" as it is to use words that refer to a s**ual activity or urine. 

As I said, both words have more than just one meaning, but if that's the first place that your mind goes to , that's on you.

The words have achieved vulgar currency precisely because they refer to base acts or body fluids, not for their alternative definitions. To pretend otherwise is to be disingenuous. You're better than that, Miss Pants. Cat Wink

Honored Contributor

Re: Is this term okay now?

[ Edited ]

People who are absolutely positive that they have never, and will never, use a word that has ever been considered offensive by anyone, should look up the origins of:

Gee

Golly

Gosh

Gee Whiz

Gosh darn it

Gol durn it

Criminy

Heck

Indian giver

Uppity

Gyp

Ghetto

Peanut gallery

Call a spade a spade

No can do

Long time no see

Basket case

Paddy wagon

Rule of thumb

These words and phrases all started out as offensive, and meaning to be so. Today, most peoples' reaction to most of them as being offensive would be met with "Huh? Is not. Used it all my life."

WAS.  And in some instances still are, though younger generations might not realize it.

The words in this thread some are so het up about are going the way of those above - becoming part of everyday language over time and common usage.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

People who are absolutely positive that they have never, and will never, use a word that has ever been considered offensive by anyone, should look up the origins of:

Gee

Golly

Gosh

Gee Whiz

Gosh darn it

Gol durn it

Criminy

Heck

Indian giver

Uppity

Gyp

Ghetto

Peanut gallery

Call a spade a spade

No can do

Long time no see

Basket case

Paddy wagon

Rule of thumb

These words and phrases all started out as offensive, and meaning to be so. Today, most peoples' reaction to most of them as being offensive would be met with "Huh? Is not. Used it all my life."

WAS.  And in some instances still are, though younger generations might not realize it.

The words in this thread some are so het up about are going the way of those above - becoming part of everyday language over time and common usage.

@Moonchilde  Not every word/phrase on this list started out being offensive.

Some offensive origins are actually urban legend.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think using the word sucks in a sentence to describe something is ok and funny in a way. It's the word you use before and after the word sucks that may get you in trouble.LOL

Honored Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

I thinks using the word sucks in a sentence to describe something is ok and funny in a way. It's the word you use before and after the word sucks that may get you in trouble.LOL

@blackhole99, you almost made me swallow a cherry pit just now.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I guess we're just used to saying that's a bummer because it's socially acceptable to that sucks or that's sucky.  I wonder if the censors will asterisk out bug off because it's used with off.  Here goes! 

Wow, no asterisks....I'm impressed. Woman Tongue

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

Gee

Golly

Gosh

Gee Whiz

Gosh darn it

Gol durn it

Criminy

Heck

Indian giver

Uppity

Gyp

Ghetto

Peanut gallery

Call a spade a spade

No can do

Long time no see

Basket case

Paddy wagon

Rule of thumb

@Moonchilde  Not every word/phrase on this list started out being offensive.

Some offensive origins are actually urban legend.

I took the information from a variety of dictionary sites and word origin sites, tracing the words back, in some cases, centuries. Very few if any "urban legends" involved, but a lot of pure history (one of my interests) which I understand many people wouldn't be aware of - or want to be aware of. And if someone says a word (figurative) you use isn't really offensive, that's just urban legend, if the person wants to keep using the word that's as good an excuse as any.

I'm not saying this is something you would do, but quite a few expressions used today have racist or anti-ethnic origins, people are aware, and still happily use them because they can get away with it by saying "I've never heard that, I didn't know" - and they keep on using it.

I'll stick with believing in the accuracy of the sites I used, myself. I tend to think people don't just make this stuff up.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

@truffle wrote:

I guess we're just used to saying that's a bummer because it's socially acceptable to that sucks or that's sucky.  I wonder if the censors will asterisk out bug off because it's used with off.  Here goes! 

Wow, no asterisks....I'm impressed. Woman Tongue

Curious that you should choose that phrase. You're not British by chance, are you?