Trusted Contributor

Re: Is this an expensive time of year for you too?

This is a tough time for us with a big income tax bill, property taxes, medical bills, graduations, and a granddaughter 's First Communion.  We planned ahead,  but they are still expensive.  Much more expensive than Christmas.

Honored Contributor

Thread Title

@gellen 

No it isn't!  My budget is the same as any other time of the year. My math is: Money in/Money out, 12 months of the year.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Yes, I had to pay an additional $1,000 in income tax due to the new tax laws and the first half of my real estate taxes were due.

Respected Contributor

@DiAnne   I had to pay $2500 in taxes this year, vehicle registration, down payment on my dream trip scheduled for the fall, plus a piece of art that I purchased while working in Hawaii for a few days, and some legal work that I had to have done.   Wow, it just seemed that every time I turned around, there was another bill to cover. 

I'm generally pretty frugal all year long but March/April hit me like a ton of bricks.  May includes Mothers Day and 2 birthdays, so we're all just getting together for a nice dinner out and honoring our family rule that started about 4 years ago....no Birthday and no Christmas gift exchange (except for the two little grandchildren).  

Luckily I had a pretty good yard sale a few weeks ago, earning almost $1000 so that really helped out to cover part of the tax bill.  To avoid paying again next year, I had to increase my taxes each paycheck....and I'm not too happy about that, but hopefully I can break even next tax time. 

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

@CAcableGirl2 

Yikes!  I will stop complaining.  You are going to need that dream trip!

Honored Contributor

Seems like many fees are due, costco, AAA, etc.  we have  11 birthdays , and mothers day between feb and May, car insurance in full on one vehicle, the rest are monthly... Oh yeah, and taxes which are enough to buy a small car.  My wallet is smokin!!

Contributor

me too sister and 2 sons

Contributor

I have a large extended family but fortunately I don't speak to any of them so there are no functions that I would attend.

My kids are in college so I am already forking out a lot year round.  Smiley LOL

Honored Contributor

I was about to say no, Christmas is the most expensive time but March through October we are slammed with birthdays, anniversaries, Mother's Day, Father's Day and then there are the graduations, showers, weddings.  Of course, some years are much worse than others.  I do pick up items for future gifts.   I don't who is going to get it....but I know someone will.  It take the pressure off if I have an assortment of items in the closet.  

Frequent Contributor

@gellen only recently - the everythingfallapartatonce bug struck along with some family obligations.  Washer died which lead to a new washer/dryer, car  began having issues, gutter fell off the house during a wind storm, and just found out yesterday our sprinkler wiring has been chewed through and will need repair.  As far as family gifts - only have had 2 recent baby showers and 3 upcoming graduation open houses.