Super Contributor

Is this an expensive time of year for you too?

I am very fortunate to have a large extended family; but I do find that this is an expensive time of year - between first communions, weddings, several family birthdays, baby and wedding showers, Mothers Day,  and graduations it comes close to Christmas in terms of money spent. We are also trying to plan a summer vacation so money is going there too.   I also must include the spring shopping I did for myself because of  weight I have lost   How about you?   Discounting Christmas, is there one time of the year/or season when you have to purchase more things? 

Respected Contributor

Re: Is this an expensive time of year for you too?

Not for me. I have a very small family. No birthdays until July. No First Communions this year, no graduations, no weddings or showers. gemcd you are blessed to have such a large family. I would gladly have your expenses. 

Valued Contributor

Same here - we are getting many graduation announcements - no one we are particuarly close to. Last weekend I got a baby shower invitation for the grandchild of a friend - I cannot imagine inviting my mother's freinds to a shower one of my kids. It just seems like everyone has their hand out for a gift. SMH

Respected Contributor

Yes, my inlaws' anniversary is in May, and so is my MIL's birthday, and Mother's Day, of course.

Honored Contributor

Not for us; just 2 this year.  

I halted the Christmas shopping last year.  

Last of the nieces/nephews graduates in May.   Our contractors daughter is getting married soon, and we will give her money.   

Valued Contributor

@gellen Yes, so far we've been hit with a large income tax bill.  We also have 2 properties so all county taxes due at the same time.  We also had a lot of damage due to storms including having a new roof put on the patio and news doors on an equipment shed.

Now in the next 8 weeks, I have a 50 year wedding anniversary party, a niece and nephew both retiring on the same day party,  my husband's twin grandchildren graduation party{ very costly gift} and a bridal shower and wedding, both involving a 5 hour round trip.  I have also been asked to provide some food dishes for some of these parties.

Then we have the school and road taxes due in August.  I finally convinced him to put the one property up for sale.  I'm not poor-mouthing but the gifts will be way over a thousand dollars.. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

After 25 years of continuous communions, graduations, weddings, births, first birthdays it has finally slowed down. My DH has a large family.  And yes, it does get pricey.  Except for one communion next month we're good for about 5 years and then it will start all over again.

On my side we've had two events in the same 25 years.  My nephew's graduation and wedding.  And I am excited as he and his wife are expecting their first child this July.

Valued Contributor

Spring usually! I find things that have worn out & need to be relaced. Then I would say fall is my next busiest time. I don't want to watch Christmas in July! So I don't watch that much during the summer. It's a busy time of year outside!

Esteemed Contributor

This year: one college grad, three birthdays, only one of which requires a gift. Taxes- OMG!. I am the only mom.

At least I sold my house and now live in a HOA, so a whole lot less spent on yard maintenance, plants and pool, even when figuring in the HOA monthly fee. Less work, less expense. Happy about that!

Honored Contributor

Except for my Dad, All family ‘occasions’ fall in Sept.  Oct.  Nov.  & Dec.

Now that does make for a pricey Holiday Season + it’s the end of a quarter & EOY.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras