Honored Contributor

Re: Is this age discrimination or ""just business?""

On 8/23/2014 esmerelda said: Parents who strap themselves financially to make their (in some cases ungrateful) children rich. I'll never understand it.

I wouldn't expect you to. My children are worth every penny of it.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

On 8/23/2014 ivanatrump said:

Most experts say whole life insurance is a waste of money. Life insurance is so dependents will be able to continue a lifestyle provided by the the insured and cover burial expenses.

Your children are grown. Why not reduce the benefits or if there is a cash benefit, cash it out?

The reps you spoke with did not make the policy, they are merely the messenger. Why would you use very colorful language with them?

I told them both several times that my anger was at the company and the industry, not them personally . . . and they got pretty nasty too, by the way, AND sarcastic.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Super Contributor

Most experts say whole life insurance is a waste of money. Life insurance is so dependents will be able to continue a lifestyle provided by the the insured and cover burial expenses.

Your children are grown. Why not reduce the benefits or if there is a cash benefit, cash it out?

The reps you spoke with did not make the policy, they are merely the messenger. Why would you use very colorful language with them?

That is what I knew to be true also. Whole life is for working people (parents) to ensure the lifestyle of their dependents.

When my father was in his 70's some guy came around and sold him a whole life policy. After I drove him 90 miles down to the office in Sacramento we got it canceled then we read that the company was being closed and charges against it for unlawful practices.

Respected Contributor

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303847804579477543715047478

One fellow mentioned in this informative article successfully sued the firm that sold him a policy that didn't meet was he was led to believe.

Honored Contributor

On 8/23/2014 Free2be said:

One fellow mentioned in this informative article successfully sued the firm that sold him a policy that didn't meet was he was led to believe.

Thank you, I will definitely read this.

(And I love your Chris Hitchens quote. I adored that man. My quote is taken from a eulogy given by him at his father's funeral. As you know, he was an atheist, but his quote was taken from the bible.)

Formerly Ford1224
Super Contributor

Can you c&p the article if you can? It wants me to subscribe to read it. Thanks!

Honored Contributor

On 8/23/2014 kaybee said:

Can you c&p the article if you can? It wants me to subscribe to read it. Thanks!

Yes, I got the same thing, it wants a subscription.

Formerly Ford1224
Honored Contributor

On 8/23/2014 Ford1224 said:
On 8/23/2014 kittymomNC said:

I'm sorry to say that whoever sold you this policy apparently sold you "down the river" at the same time. Whole Life policy premiums, if they are true whole life, should never go up even if you live to be 100. I worked in the insurance industry for several years, and I know that there are many unscrupulous so-called "insurance agents" out there, although most are very honest and do the best job they can. I'm still paying $5.73 a month for a policy I bought for my son when he was 3 years old - and he's now 45!

Insurance is a very confusing, complicated thing, and it's too bad that there are those who take advantage of people every day by using that fact to their own advantage for commissions, etc. I'm really sorry this happened to you. I have no idea what you can do about it now, but maybe your story will help someone else to be VERY careful when they decide to buy insurance. I wish you luck with it.

I know . . . I was "had" at the time, I thought "whole life until I am 98" was whole life. Obviously, I was wrong.

I'm stuck with it now . . . I'm certainly not going to drop it. Thanks for your offer to help.

Variable whole life policies are invested in a portfolio of stocks, w/o guarantees of performance. The person who sold it to you was not just an insurance agent, but also licensed to sell stocks too. The money is kept in a separate account (not the insurance company's general fund). It is SUPPOSED to do better than regular whole life...but again, nothing is guaranteed.

Variable whole life accounts have FIXED premiums: if it was "Universal variable whole life" - the premiums can rise or fall based upon the market and their investments.

The premiums were obviously enough to cover the death benefit and cash value for quite some time. Even if the investments started "going south" back in 2008...you had paid enough premiums over the last 15 years to cover any monthly shortfalls. They just took the excess $$$ you had paid in premiums (when the market was going up) to cover you and keep your premiums at the same level.

You have a lot of options. They can (and make them!) draw up a chart to show you all the things you can do now. You can keep your monthly premiums at $160...you can raise them...or you can do anything in between (or stop paying them entirely). All of these options will affect your death benefit to your kids and also the cash value of the account if you want to take the money out sooner...but you won't lose your policy.

Your policy won't immediately go down $100,000 in value if you continue paying the $160/mo.

DON'T let anyone talk you into a new policy...they make a HUGE commission on these types of insurance policies.

You have given them over $38,000 during the last 20 years (not counting interest!). You WILL NOT lose your policy if you don't give them more monthly premiums.

You need to have them run the numbers and show you how your $160/mo. continued premium payments will affect your death benefit. You don't seem to care about the cash value (borrowing) on the account...that will change, based on the market & how they invested your money.

Honored Contributor

On 8/23/2014 terrier3 said:
On 8/23/2014 Ford1224 said:
On 8/23/2014 kittymomNC said:

I'm sorry to say that whoever sold you this policy apparently sold you "down the river" at the same time. Whole Life policy premiums, if they are true whole life, should never go up even if you live to be 100. I worked in the insurance industry for several years, and I know that there are many unscrupulous so-called "insurance agents" out there, although most are very honest and do the best job they can. I'm still paying $5.73 a month for a policy I bought for my son when he was 3 years old - and he's now 45!

Insurance is a very confusing, complicated thing, and it's too bad that there are those who take advantage of people every day by using that fact to their own advantage for commissions, etc. I'm really sorry this happened to you. I have no idea what you can do about it now, but maybe your story will help someone else to be VERY careful when they decide to buy insurance. I wish you luck with it.

I know . . . I was "had" at the time, I thought "whole life until I am 98" was whole life. Obviously, I was wrong.

I'm stuck with it now . . . I'm certainly not going to drop it. Thanks for your offer to help.

Variable whole life policies are invested in a portfolio of stocks, w/o guarantees of performance. The person who sold it to you was not just an insurance agent, but also licensed to sell stocks too. The money is kept in a separate account (not the insurance company's general fund). It is SUPPOSED to do better than regular whole life...but again, nothing is guaranteed.

Variable whole life accounts have FIXED premiums: if it was "Universal variable whole life" - the premiums can rise or fall based upon the market and their investments.

The premiums were obviously enough to cover the death benefit and cash value for quite some time. Even if the investments started "going south" back in 2008...you had paid enough premiums over the last 15 years to cover any monthly shortfalls. They just took the excess $$$ you had paid in premiums (when the market was going up) to cover you and keep your premiums at the same level.

You have a lot of options. They can (and make them!) draw up a chart to show you all the things you can do now. You can keep your monthly premiums at $160...you can raise them...or you can do anything in between (or stop paying them entirely). All of these options will affect your death benefit to your kids and also the cash value of the account if you want to take the money out sooner...but you won't lose your policy.

Your policy won't immediately go down $100,000 in value if you continue paying the $160/mo.

DON'T let anyone talk you into a new policy...they make a HUGE commission on these types of insurance policies.

You have given them over $38,000 during the last 20 years (not counting interest!). You WILL NOT lose your policy if you don't give them more monthly premiums.

You need to have them run the numbers and show you how your $160/mo. continued premium payments will affect your death benefit. You don't seem to care about the cash value (borrowing) on the account...that will change, based on the market & how they invested your money.

I thought you said $160,000, but now I see you did say over $38,000. Yes, it is $38,400 that I have paid in. Now excuse me while I go into the bathroom and throw up. I will be back.

Formerly Ford1224
Honored Contributor

On 8/23/2014 kaybee said:

That is what I knew to be true also. Whole life is for working people (parents) to ensure the lifestyle of their dependents.

When my father was in his 70's some guy came around and sold him a whole life policy. After I drove him 90 miles down to the office in Sacramento we got it canceled then we read that the company was being closed and charges against it for unlawful practices.

As I said, there is no "cash benefit" right now. It's all used up. And I wouldn't do that anyway, not after having paid $38,400 over the last 20 years in premiums. I was dumb, I was the perfect foil . . . and now I have to pay for it.

Formerly Ford1224