Honored Contributor

Re: Is this a new telephone scam?

@Phantom41 wrote:

Unless you know a "Kathy" who needs money, why would you worry about it?!

That's what I say.  I'd instantly forget about it and move on.  Who needs something else to worry about?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's best not to respond with your voice at all when you get weird calls like that.  I've read that scammers dial numbers and as soon as they find out you have a "live phone number with a human on the other end", they sell your phone number to someone else for scamming purposes.

I've had a couple calls lately from an alleged 800 number asking if I am so-and-so.  I told the first caller that no one was here by that name.  The second time it happened,  I was asked if I was a different so-and-so, and didn't say a word because I figured I was being evaluated for phone-number-selling purposes.

According to what I've read, I played right into a scammer's hands the first time,  by even responding to the question I was asked.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Deanie

SCAM!!!!!!!! Unfortunately, many naive or "old" people fall for it. If it were a real call, they wouldn't leave such a dumb message - they would tell u to call back. Many of these calls are from out-of-the-country and they're able to use a local area code. Today, alone, I received 5 scam calls and it's only 1:30 PM.

Esteemed Contributor

Sounds very fishy and I agree with the others, ignore and block.

But it reminds me of a funny story.  When DD first got a cell phone, she used to get text messages all the time for poker parties.  I forget the guy's name that they thought it was.  I ignored for awhile figuring he'd contact them with his new #, and then when there was the text for the pot purchase I figured, oh....he might me in jail, so I texted the person back with a heads up that this wasn't his # anymore.  Very nice, very apologetic, etc.  No texts for awhile, and then randomly another one popped up for a poker party.   I texted again and s/he immediately responded so sorry, I thought we'd pulled you out of the group text!   :-)

Honored Contributor

I would say a SCAM beware.

unless you know these people who called and know they have a super high phone bill treat the call as a SCAM. 

block phone number. 

Respected Contributor

What a bunch of drama queens, over ONE phone call. If there were numerous calls like this, I could understand the concern, but would not get all whacked out over one call. 

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Honored Contributor

The problem with this is that there is probably a number tied to this phone call (rather than unknown) and once you call that number back, they have a viable number with a real human (up until then, your number is most likely on a bot list of random numbers).  Once they have your viable number, it's sold for marketing.

DH answered a number from an area code where we have family and he dialed back.... he had phone calls for months and months from everywhere including Egypt!!   

BTW, this is a scam.... if it's remotely authentic... he'll realize soon enough that his call did not go where he wanted it to....

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Deanie

Verizon cut off her phone--- but it seems she found a phone to call you--and is just looking for someone with a kind heart and not very smart to give her money.......It's a scam

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

Or...it is a legit call, and Kathy is constantly running up high bills and wanting Bobby to bail her out so he's changed his number...

Honored Contributor

SCAM, BIG TIME!