Honored Contributor

Re: Is this a good thing?...........................................................................

@SilleeMee wrote:

@occasionalrain wrote:

It's a good thing if you will be able to sell your house at a profit but bad if you continue to live there. increased traffic, 24 hour sirens, transient students, loud parties...are some of what you will have to endure.

What you have just described is pretty much how my neighborhood is now. There are sirens every day all day/night and many houses are rentals with young people partying. So not much will change as far as that goes. @occasionalrain

@SilleeMee

Which makes me think that the new center will only improve the neighborhood and the problems.

I wish you a giant increase in home value!!

Honored Contributor

Re: Is this a good thing?...........................................................................

Your house value will go up!

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

Your values will increase if your situation is the same as the one we have locally.  We have a major medical center with a neighborhood of single family homes within walking distance.  Real estate prices are much higher here, in the "white coat" (meaning doctors) neighborhood than similar areas.  Doctors in training will want to settle their families in real homes for the duration of their training. 

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

We have several areas like that in San Francisco and the property worth goes way up. 

One, in a new area called Mission Bay, has attracted a lot of money.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@occasionalrain wrote:

It's a good thing if you will be able to sell your house at a profit but bad if you continue to live there. increased traffic, 24 hour sirens, transient students, loud parties...are some of what you will have to endure.

Medical students are past getting a BA and not known for loud parties or drinking.  Show up at med school with a hangover and you are in deep you know what.

Respected Contributor

Hopefully you’ll get an influx or upscale restaurants and stores now 

Honored Contributor

I've lived in this city on and off since the late '60s. The part of town which is in dire need of improvement is where this campus is set to go. In the late '60s it used to be a better area as far as shopping and other reputable businesses. Then after the first large mall was built that part of town went downhill fast. It never recovered and trashy business started occupying the buildings and small strip malls. There were motels that were vacated and eventually torn down but a few are still there and house shady people. I am looking forward to cleaning up that mess. It's about time!Woman Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Prices soar for real estate because landlord owners quickly convert to student housing and rent by the bedroom.

Most cities with student housing know that anything within walking distance to campus is quickly converted.  One of my co workers was forced to move out of his apt when it transitioned to all student housing. Far more income when rented by the bedroom.

I'd beat the rush and start looking now.

Honored Contributor

@Snowpuppy

She has a house, not an apartment.  If she wants to move, her house will be worth more if she waits. 

The area is bound to attract small business and restaurants near the medical school development.

Honored Contributor

Kudos to your local officials for attracting a desirable tenant to an undesirable area.  Half of the town where I live is booming and building, the other half is ignored and falling apart.  Fortunately I own a home in the better area, but am sad to see the plummeting property values and increasing criminal element in the other area.