Honored Contributor

Re: Is there anywhere to turn when....

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@SeaMaiden   Since I am friend of the friend - I am not sure about the insurance, except that it covers very little and has no drug coverage.

I did put her in touch with a few agencies about the drugs, which she was able to get help to get her scripts filled.

I have read something called the Hill Burton Act - they are not below poverty so not sure it will be of any value to them but will give them the information.

@Mom2Dogs   So sorry. I can not imagine how scared she must be and then having to worry about getting treatment.😢

Respected Contributor

"No one will treat her"??  She must have a doctor that diagnosed her.  Something is left out here.  Maybe she needs a Go Fund Me to meet her deductible?  

Occasional Contributor

Our county hospital treats indigent and those who are on medicaid or uninsured. They cannot turn away any patients.  I would advise your friend to find a PCP if she doesn't have one and work through their network. She should also contact ain insurance broker who can help her find a better insurance policy; still seems odd that no one will treat her; who diagnosed her cancer? They should have referred her to oncologist and they would be overseeing treatment. 

Trusted Contributor

Contact her County Social Services office.  They should have a reference directory to help her find what she needs.

Honored Contributor

@rosiered ...I will ask why the doctor is not helping her out with the insurance issues.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

United Way????

Also, all offices have to do a certain amount of "pro bono" work.

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs    Her medical insurance will not pay or cancer treatment but gave her a lift chair? Like other posters recommended have her contact the county Health Department. Does she have a Doctor? Sometimes they can get patients in studies where the treatment is free to the patient. Does she qualify for senior citizens? If so contact the local senior citizens in her area. She really needs a social worker to advocate for her. 

I retired from the Medicaid program in my state. The situation with your friend is a sad. If you don't qualify for Medicaid because of income or not being 65 or disabled and have no insurance or poor insurance it is tough. There are those who through no fault of their own find themselves in situations like this and it happens more often than many believe. I don't know much about the ACA but is there not a way for her to qualify for this? I sure wish knew something to sugggest to help your friend but sadly I don't. Thank you for trying to help her. 

Honored Contributor

@50Mickey   the lift chair did not come from her insurance, it was donated by some one (or company) ....sorry I am not privy to all the ins and outs except to know it's a big mess.

Honored Contributor

There has got to be somewhere to turn for help. Especially in this country.

Maybe call United Way and explain the situation.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

A family member was a case worker in the local office of the DHHR, and her job was to help people get connected with the state resources they qualified for. She always went the extra mile to help people who thought there was no help.

All of the hospitals in my local area have a charity program. The hospital I retired from had full time employees working 40 hrs a week with full benefits who qualified for charity care on their medical bills from that facility.