Respected Contributor

Re: Is there anywhere to turn when....

[ Edited ]

What helps with cancer isn't covered by insurance anyway. Time to start looking into alternative treatments. Start with eating an alkaline diet (google what foods - some are more alkaline than you'd think). Get on the phone and call naturopaths and ask about books to read, what options they're aware of, etc. A person knowing there are things they can do to help themselves is empowering.

Respected Contributor

Many hospitals will help indigent patients.We have one and I live in a small town. Hope your friend finds one quickly.
Honored Contributor

It sounds like she’s not poor enough to have Medicaid but she’s not fortunate enough to have decent insurance.

Several suggestions:

Check into ACA insurance options. She might not something better that’s affordable but she needs to look into it just in case.

Contact the county public health for info on local resources.

Where is she receiving treatment? Some cancer centers (good ones) have advocates to help patient navigate how to get what they need.

Look into local cancer support groups for help and information. Ask at her treatment center, public health, her hospital. Even Facebook.
Honored Contributor

If high quality medical care was free, people wouldn't spend thousands on insurance annually.  Good insurance is available through the ACA but it can be very pricey.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I think the best bet is to apply for the ACA.  There is a big deductible but that can be paid off over time.

Honored Contributor

@bikerbabe ...the issue is there is no treatment - because of her insurance (which I guess covers very little) she has yet to begin any treatments.  

She has been given a lot of advice, my last comment to the friend is some one else beside the patient needs to step in and help her out with going  thru all options....sooner rather than later.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogs Could you please tell us what state the person is in and what type of cancer. Certain programs have funds that  are set for specific cancers. Is the insurance she currently has through her employer? 

Trusted Contributor

You would think the American Cancer Society would be helpful but they really are not. I have a friend who had breast cancer and they limited the number of rides she could get from them for her treatments. I couldn't believe it when she told me. Lucky for her she has loving friends who all pitched in to help her get to her radiation appointments. We were and are very disgusted with the American Cancer Society that was wrong.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mindy D wrote:

@Mom2Dogs Could you please tell us what state the person is in and what type of cancer. Certain programs have funds that  are set for specific cancers. Is the insurance she currently has through her employer? Is it a lousy ACA plan?

@Mom2Dogs @She might need to switch to an ACA plan, however, many of these plans  

are limited and most premiums for decent plans  are very costly. She can sign up right now. She will have to read through all the plans, something that is so difficult to someone under so much stress and feeling ill. Someone might step in and help her sort through the plans and verify which cancer treatment centers will take them. Then the person can help her sign up and disenroll from her current plan. If her current plan is through work, the person could help her deal with her HR Dept. 

The diagnosis of certain cancers, such as kidney cancer can be meet the criteria for a type of fast tracking for Social Security Disability.  I believe the 12 months of not working before qualifying for benefits  is waived for kidney cancer. Once deemed eligible for SSDI, persons are eligible for Medicare, Medicare Supplement Plans or Advantage Plans. 

This quick track to Social Security Disability Income which comes with Medicare eligibility is called the Compassionate Allowances program. Under the Compassionate Allowances program , certain disability applicants can have their claims processed in a few weeks.  There are 88 conditions that qualify under the Compasionate Allowances guidelines.  Here is the page about this at the SS website. There's a list of which conditions are eligible.  There are many cancers liste, but most only qualify in more advanced stages.  https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiBk66ty_LuAhUCU80KHTn3DNEQ...

Someone mentioned Hill Burton, Under HB, no hospital can turn her away for EMERGENCY TREATMENT in an ER. This would only help if a symptom or symptoms were arising that needed ER treatment. The hospital would bill her current insurance and bill her for other charges. Currently, the program name for the law that covers this is EMPTALA. I'm not sure if EMPTALA  replaced Hill Burton, is a a part of HB or is separate legislation.

Sometimes entering through the ER, with existing insurance can get the patient the chance to see someone from Social Services that can find treatment.

see here for more information. 
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwj1uMHF0vLuAhWIXM0KHV9OAX4Q...

TRY REPOSTING, ASKING IF THERE ARE ANY SOCIAL WORKERS ON THE FORUM. Same thing for any oncology nurses that might know of programs to help. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogs @This is what I've been looking for all night. These lists should help. 

From cancer .net. This is the association of clinical oncologists website. I found the information there helpful in learning how to speak with a friend when he had cancer.

Oncology social workers, case managers, doctors, and oncology nurses  organizing your finances.

The Cancer Financial Assistance Coalition (CFAC) 

CancerCare (800-813-4673)  financial assistance a list of sources for financial assistance and a database of organizations providing financial or practical help.

Cancer Finances 

Family Reach (973-394-1411) i

The HealthWellFoundation (800-675-8416

The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's patient financial aid program (800-955-4572) pr

The National Foundation for Transplants (800-489-3863)  includes stem cell transplants and other treatments used for cancer

Triage Cancer