Honored Contributor

Is there anywhere to turn when....

you have lousy insurance, cannot get medicaid and have cancer?

Asking for a friend of a friend.  This person is in mid 50's has lousy medical insurance, and cannot get medicaid.  

I did put her in touch with help with help with her meds but have no idea what to do about help with treatment.

No one will treat her and if she waits to long to get treatment, the cancer will have progressed and she is already in a lot of pain...thanks.

Honored Contributor

Re: Is there anywhere to turn when....

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

you have lousy insurance, cannot get medicaid and have cancer?

Asking for a friend of a friend.  This person is in mid 50's has lousy medical insurance, and cannot get medicaid.  

I did put her in touch with help with help with her meds but have no idea what to do about help with treatment.

No one will treat her and if she waits to long to get treatment, the cancer will have progressed and she is already in a lot of pain...thanks.

I don't know much about it but would the ACA help her? They have extended their enrollment. I wish your friend the very best.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

In my area of WV, patients with no insurance or poor coverage seek medical help thru our county health center. The medical providers there are able to get the doors opened for other needed services.

Best wishes for your friend.
Esteemed Contributor

She needs to contact her local or county social services office for help or a social worker at her local hospital? Prayers for this difficult situation.

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs   What is lousy  insurance?   I thought if you had insurance you would get help if you are sick.  Is her deductible really high? Is that what you mean by "lousy"? 

Honored Contributor

@JaneMarple She does have insurance, it's just bad....so far the assistance she has received was a lift chair, which she is now sleeping in as she can not get in and out of bed.

She did call the American Cancer Society, no help there.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Healthcare dot gov. It's very easy to apply and it's designed for people exactly like her. People who need good insurance and don't qualify for Medicaid or Medicare. There is a new period of open enrollment going on right now.

When you apply they let you know right away how much subsidy you qualify for. Her tax dollars went to pay for it so she might as well use it.

https://www.healthcare.gov/quick-guide/getting-marketplace-health-insurance/

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

Check with any women's health centers to see if they know of any resources. Also the American Cancer Society. Medicaid varies state to state. Sometimes if a person is over income a copay is worked out. Does the Medicaid off ice have a disability advocate? If she cannot work she should file for Social Security Disability or possibly SSI. When filing she should include all medical problems not just the cancer.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden   Since I am friend of the friend - I am not sure about the insurance, except that it covers very little and has no drug coverage.

I did put her in touch with a few agencies about the drugs, which she was able to get help to get her scripts filled.

I have read something called the Hill Burton Act - they are not below poverty so not sure it will be of any value to them but will give them the information.

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

She does have insurance, it's just bad....

@Mom2Dogs  Exatly what do you mean by "bad?"

"No one will treat her"

Why not?  Isn't that against the law for a medical provider to refuse treatment?

Advise her to contact the Social Service Dept.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif