Honored Contributor

Re: Is there a social stigma in getting meals on wheels?

Several of the clients I delivered to received 2 meals-a hot lunch and a cold supper:, milk fruit, cold sandwich.

Respected Contributor

On 3/19/2015 HollyDays said:

There are other options besides meals on wheels. If she has the money to eat salads from Whole Foods, then she can order from local restaurants that deliver salads and healthy entrees. There are a gazillion restaurants in LV that deliver food. There's no excuse for her to order pizza and subs. Download some online menus from area restaurants and drop them off to her the next time you're visiting.

The problem that too many people of all ages have is that they are uninterested in cooking. If someone can learn to cook meals they will not only save themselves money but will be doing themselves a favor later in life. I am shocked at the number of elderly (and brides and singles and bachelors and married couples of all ages) who have the money to buy groceries and own a working stove yet they never learned basic cooking skills and they resort to eating out every night. Some are just plain lazy.

I came across the following statement in an article I was reading the other day:

In 1900, 2 percent of meals were eaten outside the home. In 2010, 50 percent were eaten away from home and one in five breakfasts is from MacDonald’s.

Trusted Contributor

On 3/19/2015 occasional rain said: Meals on Wheels is subsidized, the client does not pay the actual cost of the meals. It's a non-profit organization. There are people available to hire to do errands, grocery shop etc. Some grocery stores will deliver for a charge. There are lots of options. Could be your MIL doesn't want "checked on", I know I wouldn't.

I am not sure where you get your info from. Meals on Wheels is not just for low income individuals. It is for home bound or elderly people who cannot get out or not well enough to cook. Yes, it is a non-profit organization and the poor do not have to pay. But... they send out invoices and you pay the suggested amount... if you can afford to do so.

You sound like my husband. He thinks he will be able to stay in the house and have a someone come in to care for him. No one can say exactly what type of care you will need as you age. It maybe you need more help then 1 person can care for inside your house. Also...One day you might have to be checked on....

Valued Contributor

I delivered meals in a retirement community for years when we lived in CA. The seniors I visited ranged from very mobile, but caring for a spouse to a blind woman with a beautiful home.

They got a hot meal at lunch time and a cold meal went into their frig. I chatted with them, took my preschool-age daughter along to visit for a minute. It was a delightful experience and I enjoyed it.

Sometimes I brought them a little home-baked poundcake or a pint of fresh strawberries.

sweet times!

Hey you, get off of my cloud...
Super Contributor

On 3/19/2015 straykatz said:

There are other options besides meals on wheels. If she has the money to eat salads from Whole Foods, then she can order from local restaurants that deliver salads and healthy entrees. There are a gazillion restaurants in LV that deliver food. There's no excuse for her to order pizza and subs. Download some online menus from area restaurants and drop them off to her the next time you're visiting.

The problem that too many people of all ages have is that they are uninterested in cooking. If someone can learn to cook meals they will not only save themselves money but will be doing themselves a favor later in life. I am shocked at the number of elderly (and brides and singles and bachelors and married couples of all ages) who have the money to buy groceries and own a working stove yet they never learned basic cooking skills and they resort to eating out every night. Some are just plain lazy.

I came across the following statement in an article I was reading the other day:

In 1900, 2 percent of meals were eaten outside the home. In 2010, 50 percent were eaten away from home and one in five breakfasts is from MacDonald’s.

Pretty much sums it up.

I see the lines of cars in the drive through at KFC, Wendy's and McDonalds (all within blocks of each other) at around 6:00. They're all picking up their fast food for dinner. Many nice cars on those lines too. Ironically there's a major grocery store within yards of these fast food joints. I understand some people are on the run and have no choice but to grab a quick burger, but not to make a habit of it nightly.

Super Contributor

On 3/19/2015 Photo Donna said:

I delivered meals in a retirement community for years when we lived in CA. The seniors I visited ranged from very mobile, but caring for a spouse to a blind woman with a beautiful home.

They got a hot meal at lunch time and a cold meal went into their frig. I chatted with them, took my preschool-age daughter along to visit for a minute. It was a delightful experience and I enjoyed it.

Sometimes I brought them a little home-baked poundcake or a pint of fresh strawberries.

sweet times!

That's so nice of you Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

sweet times!

Thanks -- it was my pleasure.

One couple only spoke Farsi. Sweet people. Some had little dogs.

If I noticed something, I alerted the coordinator. Twice a senior had fallen, once the husband of a caregiver and another time a lady living alone.

They were not low income. This was in Leisure World -- a very nice place to live.

Hey you, get off of my cloud...
Trusted Contributor

Haven't read all the responses at this point. I wonder if it's really not about the food and she just wants your attention? Or, if she thinks you owe her something and likes having you do chores for her? My grandmother liked giving her daughters things to do. She liked the attention and felt it was their duty to take care of her. Even if there were programs available to lighten the load on the kids.

Honored Contributor

Meals on Wheels can't be depended upon in bad weather, they cancelled several days in a row this past winter. Seniors weren't checked on when they most needed checking to be sure they had heat and that their water pipes hadn't frozen. Restaurants and pizza shops still delivered.
Trusted Contributor

sweet times!

I agree...you have a kind heart. I always thought the M.O.W delivery people (and nurses) are angels on earth. It take a special person to go out of your way and do random acts of kindness. One of drivers had his son clean out my dads gutters.