Honored Contributor

Re: Is there a social stigma in getting meals on wheels?

Meals on Wheels is about a lot more than the food...it's a system to check up on seniors and make sure they are OK and that they know the community cares about them.

Also, seniors pay for their meals...it's not "welfare."

Trusted Contributor

Several of my neighbors have these meals delivered. It is no big deal.
Respected Contributor

If your illness is temporary then what's the harm in her ordering takeout?

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/19/2015 route 7 said:

I worked for Meals on Wheels after I retired from my full time job. Prepared the food: everyday you get bread&butter, soup, entrée, beverage, and dessert. You could request a special diet. A very good thing is it checks up on people. The volunteers would get to know the people and would report if they didn't answer the door, etc. No social stigma.

I agree!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Esteemed Contributor

On 3/18/2015 Ilikeshade said:

I think she's selfish. She'd rather have me drive over 10 mi to all her favorite stores than cook for herself. I am still sick. I can't sleep at night because of a cough that I can't get rid of. During the day I nod off......I have no intention of getting behind the wheel of a car but she just doesn't get it.

Yes, she can cook but refuses. When my dad was alive they went to buffets everyday. That was their lifestyle for years.

She needs some assistance..a caregiver, assisted living etc, someone other then you, IMO!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Honored Contributor

Meals on Wheels is subsidized, the client does not pay the actual cost of the meals. It's a non-profit organization. There are people available to hire to do errands, grocery shop etc. Some grocery stores will deliver for a charge. There are lots of options. Could be your MIL doesn't want "checked on", I know I wouldn't.
Super Contributor

There are other options besides meals on wheels. If she has the money to eat salads from Whole Foods, then she can order from local restaurants that deliver salads and healthy entrees. There are a gazillion restaurants in LV that deliver food. There's no excuse for her to order pizza and subs. Download some online menus from area restaurants and drop them off to her the next time you're visiting.

The problem that too many people of all ages have is that they are uninterested in cooking. If someone can learn to cook meals they will not only save themselves money but will be doing themselves a favor later in life. I am shocked at the number of elderly (and brides and singles and bachelors and married couples of all ages) who have the money to buy groceries and own a working stove yet they never learned basic cooking skills and they resort to eating out every night. Some are just plain lazy.

Honored Contributor

I awakened earlier this morning, thinking of donating to charities that benefit senior citizens. I don't often/or ever hear about donations to such charities, though. Something I'm going to look into. It's a good humanitarian endeavor, making sure senior citizens are well and safe. Also, I'm guessing that many have pets that must/should be kept in good health, too.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Super Contributor

On 3/19/2015 ROMARY 1 said:

I awakened earlier this morning, thinking of donating to charities that benefit senior citizens. I don't often/or ever hear about donations to such charities, though. Something I'm going to look into. It's a good humanitarian endeavor, making sure senior citizens are well and safe. Also, I'm guessing that many have pets that must/should be kept in good health, too.

Our local shelter practically gives away their cats and dogs for $5.00 when they are overcrowded and for seniors they waive the fee. So my concern is if they can't even afford a fee for adoption how on earth can they afford to feed the animal and bring him in for vet visits. How does a senior walk the dog in bad weather or any weather and how do they clean a litter box which is hard work, bending over, scooping. Not to mention litter costs money,too! The shelter especially pushes a program for seniors to adopt senior animals. But senior pets require the most care. I don't get it. I do respect you ROMARY for wanting to help out!

Honored Contributor

Shorty: Hugs.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).