Honored Contributor

Is there a good tasting frozen mango?

Is there a good tasting frozen mango?

Honored Contributor

Re: Is there a good tasting frozen mango?

I don't think there is. In fact I don't think there are any good-tasting mangos at all, including fresh ones. When I was younger my family lived in the Caribbean and we had a mango tree in our yard. After having those to eat, there's nothing to compare to how good they were. I miss them. I've tried to find good mangos but I haven't found any good ones yet.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee @We have lots of good tasting mango varieties that grow here in Florida. That is probably my problem. I keep trying to gauge frozen mango chunks against the fresh mangos. I never put a tree on my current property because the squirrels steal all my neighbors' fruit. I want some frozen chunks to add to my smoothies. The fresh mangos at the grocery store have not been very good in recent years, even at the height of mango season. They are also such as mess and I never know if the fruit buyer has ordered a stringy variety.

Honored Contributor

I don't use frozen mango for presentation as a fresh fruit (i,e. a fruit salad), but I use both Costco and Trader Joe's frozen mango for smoothies and it is good for a "background" fruit. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mindy D 

How about adding dried mangos to your smoothies? Not sure about how you like your smoothies but that will add some texture to it I'm sure.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee   You have been spoiled by the best!  I agree it is difficult to find the quintessential mango.  The closest I come is the small fuerte/champagne and when I find a good source (once a year for a brief season in a particular store)....I buy them by the bucket and eat them as a meal!  (One of my favorite fruits if you can find it!).

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My favorite 'island fruit' are the quenepas! You can't find them here b/c they are not allowed to come into the country. Something to do with the USDA. @phoenixbrd 

ETA- I think they are grown in Florida! But that's the only place I think.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee @Fairchild Tropical Gardens, before the pandemic, held an annual mango festival and there were mango swaps. Every possible variety. Tastings too. Plus you could buy from Fairchild with proceeds going to the park. If I had in trees here , I would have gone down there to get them. There are many mango trees on my block. I live in mango land and can't get a decent mango. Mangos here are usually ripe in July and August.

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I don't think there is. In fact I don't think there are any good-tasting mangos at all, including fresh ones. When I was younger my family lived in the Caribbean and we had a mango tree in our yard. After having those to eat, there's nothing to compare to how good they were. I miss them. I've tried to find good mangos but I haven't found any good ones yet.

@SilleeMee  weren't those the best? My goodness. My parents took us home for a few years and we had every kind of mangoes. We ate mangoes until we got sick lol.

Lived in Florida for years and going to the Swap Shop for mangoes was a treat. Haitian mangoes are now the best there is. Since moving to Ga, we get cases of Haitian mangoes every year from Florida.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@SilleeMee @We have lots of good tasting mango varieties that grow here in Florida. That is probably my problem. I keep trying to gauge frozen mango chunks against the fresh mangos. I never put a tree on my current property because the squirrels steal all my neighbors' fruit. I want some frozen chunks to add to my smoothies. The fresh mangos at the grocery store have not been very good in recent years, even at the height of mango season. They are also such as mess and I never know if the fruit buyer has ordered a stringy variety.

@Mindy D  I've never tried frozen mangoes, but those mangoes you buy at the grocery stores taste all washed out.

You might be a distance from the Swap Shop in Sunrise but next year have some one pick you up some Haitian mangoes and you can freeze some for later.

Miami usually has a lot of Haitian mangoes at the markets.