Super Contributor

Is there a fool proof way to get pee smell out of the rug

My older dog is starting to pee in the house, he is a bigger dog and I used vinagar, baking soda regular carpet cleaner and still the smell stays. If you have had good luck with something please let me know.
Respected Contributor

Re: Is there a fool proof way to get pee smell out of the rug

People have talked about some of those pee sprays and that XO spray too. Hopefully one of them will post to tell you which one worked.

doxie

Esteemed Contributor

I swear by the XO (Don Astlett) spray. The BEST that I have ever used!

Honored Contributor

drench, i mean down to the foundation, drench with Listerine. It never has failed me. The high price cleaner told me they used to use it but it was too expensive. I believe the Dollar store brand worked just as well. The dog also did not return to the "scene of the crime!"

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

This is why I had hardwood floors installed. Old cats would pee, and then there is the wonderful upsied hairballs. Now no cats, but two pups, and if one has an accident, I just wipe it up.

Valued Contributor

lovestoteach

I have never heard of the Listerine before. Does it help with cat pee too? Any particular "flavor"? Then after it is drenched, do you just soak it up with towels? How long do you leave it for? I have tried a number of things

TIA

cookinfreak

Valued Contributor

I don't know of any fool proof method, especially if the urine soaked through the pad. However, I've had very good luck with Nature's Miracle. It's a neutralizer that's sold in pet stores.
Honored Contributor

On 3/31/2015 cookinfreak said:

lovestoteach

I have never heard of the Listerine before. Does it help with cat pee too? Any particular "flavor"? Then after it is drenched, do you just soak it up with towels? How long do you leave it for? I have tried a number of things

TIA

cookinfreak

Sorry, cookin... I should have gotten back here sooner. I used to (when we had pets- dogs) soak the carpet down to the foundation... leave for a little while (a few hours) then use the old towel method where one actually steps on the towels to absorb any excess.

Perhaps it is advisable to try it where you can judge if it will remove carpet dye... but our carpet is light (a Dupont fiber that is coated or something) and it never changed color.

The following day I would take up the towels to let it all air-dry.

The Listerine I used was the goldish-brown original formula.

ETA: my experience is only with doggie stuff -- no experience with kitty pee pee

HTH

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Super Contributor

dont had that problem before.

Esteemed Contributor

Buy a Hoover steam clean shampoo machine. You'll love it for those traffic areas too.