Honored Contributor

Re: Is there a case or event in history...

beam me up scotty.gif

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'd have loved to have been a fly on the wall during true intimate moments between Julius Caesar and Cleopatra. While obviously romanticized over the centuries, there was a genuine and intense connection between them. I'd just like to see how that truly unfolded and manifested itself. What DID she do to that man to so seduce him into his downfall?

And I really would like to have been in that room where the apostles all hid when a resurrected Jesus by all accounts showed up. I honestly don't think I could ever get enough of that.

But overall, I am a complete devotee of human history as its affected by volcanoes. I love a great tale of Santorini or "Utopia". I'm a massive nut for all things Pompeii and Herculaneum.

Give me an advanced civilization, an angry volcano god and a great pyroclastic flow and I'm there. Smiley LOL

I love to wander around rims of active volcanoes. I'd love to rappel down into one. But I fear a spontaneous blow of inner earth's steam arising from an unseen vent burning my feet off. (So I think its just best not to do that). Smiley Happy

But I love to vacation on and near volcanoes. I love to look at volcanoes. I love volcanoes in literature. I even have a large 19th century cameo of an entire Neapolitan landscape...which includes a volcano (of course).

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

it would be the prohibition era.......i am fascinated by that period of time.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

sharke,    I'll pass the word up-there for you.  (smile)

Frequent Contributor

I love the 'Gilded Age'.  I have read a number of books (some more than once) relating to various families of wealth and how they influenced the country during the late 1800's-1920's.  I have toured their homes....and totally imagined myself living there....and wondered what it must have been like to be there at the height of their prosperity.  Their lifestyle was so off the scale of anything that we would recognize.  I understand that Julien Fellows, of Downton Abbey fame, is working on his next series which is titled ....wait for it.....The Gilded Age.  I can hardly wait.  😀

Honored Contributor

I like that time period in history, too, but, rich people really need to use their wealth to help others. I couldn't be filthy rich and not ride down the street in my carriage looking at people starving and women forced to live on the streets with their many children. People, working 6 days a week in the mines and treated like dogs so the rich men can get richer. That's just wrong.

Respected Contributor

surfk,   If you love volcano's so much you need to place yourself on volcanos to really enjoy life as you like.   

Get a job working in the field of geothermo.  They drill into volcanos and use that energy to give mankind energy to use.

Or just go there and get to know someone that works there, and charm him to let you hang out on the volcano; and show you around.   Live your dreams.  

Respected Contributor

From the beginning of time and to the end of the human race there will always be the poor and the rich.  

Esteemed Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

The abdication of King Edward VIII to marry Wallis Simpson.  Now that's love and devotion.

My Nan could never understand why they were were so enamored with Hitler and the Nazis. He might have been in love but he was an ignorant and  dangerous man.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@onewhiteSparrow wrote:

surfk,   If you love volcano's so much you need to place yourself on volcanos to really enjoy life as you like.   

Get a job working in the field of geothermo.  They drill into volcanos and use that energy to give mankind energy to use.

Or just go there and get to know someone that works there, and charm him to let you hang out on the volcano; and show you around.   Live your dreams.  

Is that like a really complicated way to tell me to go jump into a volcano or something??? Smiley LOL

Actually I've been to a number of volcanoes without the need to ever work in the geothermal sciences or at the invitation of a big hairy man. I can find my own moments in volcanology, thank you. lol

I live in NM, land of many calderas (or collapsed and liong dead or dormant ancient volcanoes). And while they're very dramatic and I am sure gave the dinosaurs quite a time, I need my volcanoes to be active in order to get my juices (or lava, as the case may be) flowing.