Honored Contributor

Re: Is the garage door closed?

[ Edited ]

I can't see my garage door when I'm inside the house. So there have been times when one of my neighbors comes over to let me know that my garage door is open. That used to happen more than I wanted so I decided to put an end to it and bought  this sensor thing. It's a 2-piece system where you place a small stick-on thing on your garage door and it transmits a signal to the inside of your house where the receiver thing is located (plugged into the wall ). The receiver thing has a red light and a green light on it. The red light flashes when the door is open. It's green when it closed. No wifi or smart phone needed...coin battery-operated (transmitter), plain and simple. You just have to place the receiver thing in a place where you'll see it. I placed mine next to my recliner on my end-table, by my phone. This thing has given me peace of mind when I'm home.

Chamberlain Garage Door Monitor

7168mbig.jpg

Respected Contributor

@Karie2022 wrote:

@chessylady wrote:

I have OCD tendencies and this is one of them. I have gone back to see if the garage door is closed on numerous occasions and it always is. I finally got a curling iron that shuts itself off after a period of time.I am not as compulsive as I used to be which is good.

I actually have ocd and have found that taking pics with my cell phone helps me out enormously...sounds nutty to people without ocd, but it gets me out of the house with out endless ‘checking’.

I don't think that's nutty, I think that's a very smart way of using available resources to solve a real problem.  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

They make smart garage door openers. Not very expensive either. Easy to install and you control your garage door with an app on your smart phone. Costs around $50.

I don't have a garage door, but things I can control from my smart phone have made such a difference to me!

I have a Nest Thermostat and I can check it from my phone. It knows where my phone is and can sense when no one is home, but I still like being able to check and make sure the AC isn't cranking away when I'm at work. I get home anywhere from 6-8pm, so I also like being able to turn the AC on when I'm leaving for home so it's not 80 and stuff when I arrive.

I know a lot of people who use cameras with phone apps to check in on loved ones with dementia and I'm looking into getting one for my parents. Mom called me one morning and she was clearly terrified and told me she was home all alone. She wasn't, she was in the living room and my dad was asleep in the bedroom. My sister lives with them, but she was at work.

I texted my sister to verify dad was home and she was at work and stayed on the phone with mom until she calmed down, but a camera I could use to verify she's safe would make me feel better.

Honored Contributor

@MyShadowLove wrote:

Has anyone ever had their garage door open on its own?

Is it possible that someone else's garage door opener can also activate another person's garage door at times?

Yes, my handyman just made some adjustments and the problem has been resolved. 

Honored Contributor

Is the garage door closed?  Is the stove off (even if you haven’t even used it for weeks, LOL)?  Did I unplug the hairdryer?  Did I lock the door? On and on. 

Here’s one of mine..... That intersection a mile or so back that I drive through 45 trillion times a day....was the light green when I drove through? 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Trusted Contributor

Chessylady: I also have OCD tendencies and have been known to drive around the block and come back and check to see if garage door is down. 

Esteemed Contributor

Remember when land lines use to have the curly cord that connected the handset to the base?

Well, for me, my "ocd" thing was that I could not stand a twisted, knotted cord!

I'd have to unkink the cord to make it look "nice" and "pretty"! *lol*

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee @BirkiLady @RetRN ...

Thanks so much for replying to my post!...Our garage door just opening on its own has happened twice within the past few years and the second time was just this past week.

I called the company that installed our door and someone will be coming next week to check everything out.

It can certainly be somewhat unsettling...that's for sure!

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Esteemed Contributor

@MyShadowLove  Good idea! They'll probably clean the tracks, check the springs and hinges, and replace anything that needs it. It's kind of a good maintenance call IMO. Plus, they will reprogram your opener easily. You should have a garage door the operates quietly and like new again! We take garage doors for granted and seldom have maintenace performed on those systems of our homes. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

You could also leave a voice note on your phone. . . leaving for Costco on Tuesday, door down--or something like that.