Honored Contributor

Re: Is the garage door closed?

My husband always questions whether he closed the garage door.  It's always yes.

It's a very common "fear".  

Respected Contributor

This reminds me of a story.  Years and years ago, I worked in a giant medical center.  Thousands of employees.

My neighbor, who only knew that I worked in that center, tracked me down one day to tell me I left my garage door open.  This was well before any electronic communication -- she had to call the main landline and, goodness knows, how many transfers later, she got me at my desk. 

She closed the door for me.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Trusted Contributor

@chessylady wrote:

I have OCD tendencies and this is one of them. I have gone back to see if the garage door is closed on numerous occasions and it always is. I finally got a curling iron that shuts itself off after a period of time.I am not as compulsive as I used to be which is good.

I actually have ocd and have found that taking pics with my cell phone helps me out enormously...sounds nutty to people without ocd, but it gets me out of the house with out endless ‘checking’.

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Respected Contributor

Oh yeah, been there many times over the years myself!

Having to turn around to go back just to be sure...

and, it was always closed... 

Better safe than sorry I guess. Yep!! 

-Texas Hill Country-
Respected Contributor

• Coffee maker
  • Stove
  • Garage door

Before I leave the house, I try to remember to check each of these and assure myself out loud ('they' say you believe most what you hear yourself say), "Yes, XYZ is off."   

I'm trying to train myself to stay in the driveway until I've consciously watched the garage door close (actually touch the ground).  Nonetheless, I still sometimes drive back to check, and like all the others who have posted before me, I've yet to find it open (but, "There's always the first time." Woman Embarassed)  This must be very common among us, because my new car has a feature whereby I can remotely close the garage door.  

Interesting thread, and clever solution for you @Abrowneyegirl . 

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

I've lived in rural areas my entire adult life and rarely have even had a garage.  I once babysat for my sister in suburban Chicago while they went on vacation.  Much to my surprise, I actually got a ticket for leaving her garage door open one night.  A few days later a bottle of Bailey's Irish Cream was stolen from my open car.  I finally got the message.  Close and lock everything.  P.S.  I live in an even more rural area and don't have to worry about thieves.  

Respected Contributor

Count me in on the “ Is the garage door closed?” club.  I cannot tell you how many times I have had to turn around and come back down my street  to see if I really did remember to close it.  🤣🤣

I too always sit and watch it close before I drive off.  This has saved me the extra drive back!

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Esteemed Contributor

Has anyone ever had their garage door open on its own?

Is it possible that someone else's garage door opener can also activate another person's garage door at times?

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Esteemed Contributor

Oh my gosh, these posts are too funny!  And, yes, I am one of those who have gone back to see if the garage door is down.  Glad I'm not the only one! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@MyShadowLove wrote:

Has anyone ever had their garage door open on its own?

Is it possible that someone else's garage door opener can also activate another person's garage door at times?

Yes! In fact there have been cases where crooks use door openers and drive around neighborhoods trying to open doors that way. Nothing is really totally safe anymore. @MyShadowLove