Respected Contributor

I am tired of the nightly question, "is the garage door closed?"  and the nagging question,  'did the garage door close?' when we leave.

I bought a cheap RING video doorbell to put on inside wall of the garage door so I can do a quick live view and check the garage doors.

I will also know when someone arrives- our garage door opener is very quiet and rarely do you hear it from inside the house.

Respected Contributor

Re: Is the garage door closed?

I have OCD tendencies and this is one of them. I have gone back to see if the garage door is closed on numerous occasions and it always is. I finally got a curling iron that shuts itself off after a period of time.I am not as compulsive as I used to be which is good.

Respected Contributor

There's one reason I always remember to keep the garage door closed...my indoor only cat, the little escape artist loves to run.

Super Contributor

Have to chuckle to myself reading this. Glad to know I am not the only one that does this...must tell my husband, he believes I am the only one that does this and that I am nuts. Now I do not leave the driveway until the door is completely down...it has saved many return trips. ;-)
Respected Contributor

I've gone thru this many times as well.  My old home had a manual garage door, if you wanted it to be opened or closed, you had to lift it or you weren't going anywhere.  Now having an automatic garage door, it took me awhile to get used to it. 

I've left it up a few times all night (thinking it was closed) but the worst time was when I had to evacuate due to a hurricane and I left my home all nervous, not remembering if I shut the darn garage door, got about 1/2 hour away and decided to turn around and go back n check.  Yeah, I had closed it.  I apologized to my cat for wasting a good hour of a long journey we had to make to clear out of the area.  Yes, its best to wait to see it shut completely.

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Honored Contributor

Our garage is in the back...we exit through an alley...many times have I driven around the street and back to the alley to see if the door had closed all the way...so happy I am not the only one who is bothered by these kind of things!
Respected Contributor

I can sure identify with this post.   When I was working I can't even count how many times on the way to work I turned around and went back home to check if I had closed the garage doors.   

Just like another poster, I also used to agonize if I had turned off my curling iron when I left the house.   I finally bought a curling iron that shuts off automatically.

Now that both my husband and I are retired we double-check each other if we leave the house together.   I check to make sure that he locked the front door and he checks the curling iron.  

We both check the garage door.   We stop at the bottom of our driveway and we both look up at the house and say ok we know that the garage door has been closed.     

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

They make smart garage door openers. Not very expensive either. Easy to install and you control your garage door with an app on your smart phone. Costs around $50.

Esteemed Contributor

Haven't we all wondered if the garage door was down? Yes.

We actually returned from a vacation and couldn't get the garage door UP. When we used the front door key, we realized the electricity in the entire neighborhood was off due to an accident nearby. Rather than try to unload the car, shower, etc., in the dark we decided to stay one more night in a nearby motel. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

It makes so happy to know I'm in club of so many other garage door double checkers. I usually make it up to the corner then go in reverse back down the street till I can see it. If I'm too far away to go back and check I call my neighbor across the street and ask her. She has the keypad combo to close it for me.