Honored Contributor

Re: Is it true JC Penney is closing in 2018?

Our Pennys have upped their customers by about 70% (looking at their parking lot).  The interior is now run well,  stocked with enough staff and always neat (or in the process of being picked up).  Ours is not a big store, but it just opened a Sephora and that's going exceedingly well. I've not heard anything about ours closing up.... hope not.

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

I doubt it, at least if you're referring to all the stores. Mine just had a remodel. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Frequent Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

I went to our closest JCP today (1 hr away) and honestly, the store was a disastrous mess! I really was shocked clothes just "thrown" on tables, some on floor, etc. as I say "one hot mess!"

I was looking for girls clothing - horrible to have to dig through mounds of clothing to find size!

The entire store was on "clearance or 60% off".  I saw a sales manager & expressed my disappointment in the way the store was.  Her answer was we are clearing out excess & customers are messy!

I get in line to pay (25 people before me 2 cashiers to pay🙄). So I strike a conversation up with a lady with a cart load of things - she tells me JCP is closing & today was the start of the liquidation sales.  Sad🙁 I always found everything from clothing to home decor.   

Then I had to go to Avenue to exchange something -- that store was the same!  I asked the salesgirl why the store was a mess (oh the dressing rooms piles of clothes!) - she told me they are closing sometime after Christmas.  

Ps: if we think Q sizing is inconsistent then don't go to Avenue I tried on (and hung up & returned to rack) 9 pairs of pants in my normal size - everyone fit differently....ugh!!!  I tried on long shirts (my size) -- holy crow they were worse : arms tight, shorter 1 arm from other, length....

A few months ago I was shopping for a shrug to wear to a wedding so I went to my local mall, which I rarely do.  I stopped in JC Penney and couldn’t believe what I saw.  It was like being in a flea market.  Clothes were thrown around everywhere.  Some were hanging, the floor had clothes that had fallen off the racks, the changing room was loaded with clothes, and there seemed to be no order.  I left and went over to Boscov’s, which was clean and organized.  Sad to see what is becoming of B&M stores/malls.

Super Contributor

@smoky22 wrote:

Seeing one store in disarray does not mean the entire chain is closing.  I find your headline a little irresponsible.

I have 3 JCPenney stores near me and they are all great. 

Lol!.....right!

Respected Contributor

Not surprising at all, if it's true. Sears, JC Penney...they didn't rebrand fast enough.

Respected Contributor

@TheMemphisVette wrote:

The ‘department stores’ lost me long ago.   Chasing coupons, sales valid only certain days, etc….I have no desire or time to play those games...   

Interesting, @TheMemphisVette.

I was at Penney's the other day to look at sheets, along w/ my youngest who moved to this area a few weeks ago. We'd seen some great reviews on the Liz Claiborne's 'Liquid Cotton' sheets & wanted to actually feel them. And they were on sale!  Smiley Happy

We decided to buy them, and brought our purchases to the clerk.

Turns out the sale was online only, so instead of bringing home the stuff, we put it all back & placed an online order with the clerk to save almost 50%!

Yeah, I know that some sales can say "instore only" or "online only", but WHY? It just seems silly.

Muddling through...
Honored Contributor

Bye Bye JC Penny......anything you can buy from them you can buy elsewhere....

Honored Contributor

Wouldn't surprise me.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@TheMemphisVette wrote:

I have not been in a JCP physical store or shopped a mall in 20 yrs.   I did order from JCP on line a few years back on some black Friday deals.   The last time i was in a Sears store was 1999, I bought a washer and dryer.   

The ‘department stores’ lost me long ago.   Chasing coupons, sales valid only certain days, etc….I have no desire or time to play those games.   And having to shop when they are actually open.   Roaming the store to find where they decided to put something.  Digging through what others have messed up. Backtracking my steps over and over.  Then having to find someone to take my money, ugh.  What a joke.  No thanks.   

The only physical stores I shop are Costco, Krogers and occasionally Walmart.   Kroger and Walmart are always open at my convenience.  Sales are weekly+, not having to shop specific days.  No store coupons to chase.   I limit my trips by buying bulk and buying ahead of need.

Most of my shopping is from my computer on my own time line, anytime. Best prices….easy to get best price available anywhere at the tap of the keyboard.  

Appliances also.   Last fall bought a new washer and dryer on line.  Was able to compare ALL models and manufactures.  Not just what a specific store had.  Not having to go from store to store.  Like the last time in 1999.

I am expecting amazon deliveries today.  49” Tv, cables, digital antenna, console table.   A rug is delivering Wed, a headboard is delivering Thurs. Just how many stores and hours would I have spent finding these things?  And having to wrangle them into the hummer and home.   

For me,  going to physical stores is not pleasurable or productive at all.   Times have changed for the better when it comes to our consumer experience and convenience.      

@TheMemphisVette

now now remember you must be tolerant of other peoples shopping preferences remember every store or mall may not meet your needs but it might meet the needs of others............

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@homedecor1

JCP made a decision to close some of their stores this year...a store near one of my friend's was closed this summer.  That idiot CEO from Apple that ran JCP for a while almost destroyed the company and and they are slow to recover and who knows it they ever will.....

The store nearest me is always neat and clean sometimes its busy but on other days it looks like a ghost town....they've really cut down on their home goods and they moved a Sephora in to help drum up business.......its very sad!!!  

Now a store thats in full operation that looks like a tornado struck it is Macys....that store is a total MESS---clothes thrown everywhere...the dressing rooms are dirty and have trash in them, the employees are rude and care more about chatting with each other than waiting on customers......and this is in an upscale mall....its a wonder they don't force them to leave.....the only reason I even went there was as a last resort.and the time before that a friend dragged me along...

And my sister used to shop at Avenue but their merchandise has gone down hill.......I think our go to stores for clothes for my friends and I are now Dillards, Stein Mart, and Marshalls .....these stores are well organized and nice and clean, and the Sales Associates are friendly and helpful..

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”