Trusted Contributor

Re: Is it true JC Penney is closing in 2018?

I'm sure Penney's is closing their under performing stores, just like other retailers are.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nonametoday, I loved Service Merchandise, I was disappointed when they closed.  They're the only retailer I've ever shopped at that had an 8 month layaway plan for their high end jewelry. I had so many nice pieces from there, as did my mom. I upgraded what I'd bought, but I still have some of the jewelry my mom purchased for herself: a 1/2  or 1 carat   heart shaped diamond pendant (I'm not sure of the actual carat weight)  a ruby/diamond ring set in 14k yellow gold, & a emerald/diamond ring set in 14k white gold. They had great sales, I have 2 beautiful rings I purchased from them in 1997 or 1998 when the entire jewelry section was 50% off. I've had the pieces appraised for much more than what I'd paid for them.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I read an article in the business section that reported that JCP would be selling off large amounts of their women's apparel to bring in more home goods and appliances. Not sure if this will work for them going forward. I gave up on JCP several years ago.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't think mine is going to close, they just did a small remodel and opened a Sephora inside the store. That being said, I don't know how mine stays open. Never many cars there, and they just don't seem to have much of a selection.

Honored Contributor

There is no JC Penny near me and the one time I shopped there it was horrible, long lines and inferior merchandise

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@SydneyH- She has applications for retail in new stores in our area. She has health issues making it difficult to stand for long periods of time. She loves helping people and would be a good shopper for other people ( can't  think of the correct term). SouthernBee 

Trusted Contributor

Very rarely do I go to our mall. It was also recently remodeled as well as the JCP there. Our spa store is in there now so we go to buy our spa supplies. The only other store I go to there is the new Ulta. Boy is it a huge Ulta! 

Its not a big mall and there isn’t much. They have remodeled and added a couple of things. I stopped going into the BBW (new White Barn added to it) because the employees constantly pester me. Wanting to spray me, put this or that into my bag. Ask again and again what I am looking for. I just stopped.

As far as our JCP there are never any cars out front of that end. That’s where we park because spa store in mall is right next to JCP. 

The Sears at the other end of the mall is just dreadful. I haven’t been in a long time but it is so sad, no merchandise, smells old. Run down. 

We have a nice two story Macy’s that seems to get traffic but I just don’t go to mall very much. I don’t like to, even with new added features. New coffee and pastry bar in center of mall under skylight is pretty tho.

It seems here more people shop at WM and Target. Oh...and Costco. 

Honored Contributor

When stores are a mess ... it's because careless shoppers mess up the stock faster than the sales people can straighten it out.  

I rarely go to JCP here, but frequently order online w/o any problems.  Once, there was a delivery issue ... but that was quickly fixed.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

In general:  'I just don't get it'.   Cars everywhere, parking lots filled to capacity.   Took a long drive yesterday and my friend and I were wondering ............... No 'online only' shoppers where we were.  I guess it depends on the area.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have not been in a JCP physical store or shopped a mall in 20 yrs.   I did order from JCP on line a few years back on some black Friday deals.   The last time i was in a Sears store was 1999, I bought a washer and dryer.   

The ‘department stores’ lost me long ago.   Chasing coupons, sales valid only certain days, etc….I have no desire or time to play those games.   And having to shop when they are actually open.   Roaming the store to find where they decided to put something.  Digging through what others have messed up. Backtracking my steps over and over.  Then having to find someone to take my money, ugh.  What a joke.  No thanks.   

The only physical stores I shop are Costco, Krogers and occasionally Walmart.   Kroger and Walmart are always open at my convenience.  Sales are weekly+, not having to shop specific days.  No store coupons to chase.   I limit my trips by buying bulk and buying ahead of need.

Most of my shopping is from my computer on my own time line, anytime. Best prices….easy to get best price available anywhere at the tap of the keyboard.  

Appliances also.   Last fall bought a new washer and dryer on line.  Was able to compare ALL models and manufactures.  Not just what a specific store had.  Not having to go from store to store.  Like the last time in 1999.

I am expecting amazon deliveries today.  49” Tv, cables, digital antenna, console table.   A rug is delivering Wed, a headboard is delivering Thurs. Just how many stores and hours would I have spent finding these things?  And having to wrangle them into the hummer and home.   

For me,  going to physical stores is not pleasurable or productive at all.   Times have changed for the better when it comes to our consumer experience and convenience.      

~~who/what is responsible for your joy? YOU!~~