Esteemed Contributor

Re: Is it true JC Penney is closing in 2018?

Reasonable question. I thought the same thing. Slipped into a JCP store looking for shorts for my grandson. Oh, my, I hadn't been in the store for a while, but it was set up like a thrift store with huge clearance. I didn't want to rumage through things that had fallen on the floor or unsettled flops of clothing on the table. The first thing I thought was - closing soon? I think it's hard to compete with Macy's more frequent store and online sales if you're a JCP store. JCP used to be my 'back-to-school clothes' store many moons ago. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

My daughter and I were in a JC Penney store last week and it was a mess.  There were racks and racks all over the place which made it difficult to get through. There were tables with clothes piled so high it would have taken hours to get through it to find your size.  If that was not an indication they were ready to close I don't know what would have been.  It was a sad sight to see in a store that I have been shopping in for years in three different states.  And we have to consider all the people who are employed who will lose their job, where do they go? 

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Trusted Contributor

I'll be upset if our Penney's closes.  I live in upstate NY and our mall has undergone changes in the last year.  Macy's closed first and then in September, Sears closed.  The

only big stores left in the mall are Bon Ton, Burlington and JC Penney's.  Our Penney's has always been neat and well stocked.  They remodeled it about two years ago and also added a Sephora within the store.

I've always enjoyed Penney's merchandise and still do.  I find their Liz Claiborne line to be good with many sales often, and there are a couple other brands I also find to be of good quality.  I was just there a couple of weeks ago, and didn't notice any disarray or signs that would indicate the store may be on the verge of closing...so I guess I'll just keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best!  

Honored Contributor

I’ve never seen my local JCP in a horrible mess. 

Esteemed Contributor

I hadn't heard that but it was said Sears is having trouble. Both are in the same mall.

Honored Contributor

My local JCP has been one of the better ones. I have 3 friends that were employed with JCP. One retired early two years ago when they started downsizing and cutting hours and had worked for over 20 years. Another one was offered early retirement this spring after 3O years. This location no longer has a store of  full time employees and operates with a really reduced staff . My other friend has only worked 3 years. Her hours have been reduced but she is considered a store manager without the official title and pay. The other weekend JCP had a huge sale with coupon discounts and only 3 employees for the entire store. My friend closed the store that evening but was an hour late leaving because she was trying to clean and straighten up the racks and tables. She was scheduled to work early the next day . The next day the acting manager - wrote her a bad review for not honoring store policy and working over time!  She is desperate to find another job but she is single and in her mid 50s. Very sad. I  worked for this JCP while in high school and it always won awards for the region has one the best JCP with top sales and outstanding employees. Our one Sears store close last year. We had 3 Kmarts and our last store closed two weeks ago. SouthernBee 

Honored Contributor

I don't know how the Sears store near us stays open.  For a couple of years it has been sparsley stocked and a mess.  I've only been it twice returning Land's End bathing suits that didn't fit! 

Respected Contributor

Asking a question is one thing, but the headline looked like the OP had some inside information that all JCPenney stores were closing next year.  It seemed pretty specific to just be a question.  JMO. 

Esteemed Contributor

@SouthernBee wrote:

My local JCP has been one of the better ones. I have 3 friends that were employed with JCP. One retired early two years ago when they started downsizing and cutting hours and had worked for over 20 years. Another one was offered early retirement this spring after 3O years. This location no longer has a store of  full time employees and operates with a really reduced staff . My other friend has only worked 3 years. Her hours have been reduced but she is considered a store manager without the official title and pay. The other weekend JCP had a huge sale with coupon discounts and only 3 employees for the entire store. My friend closed the store that evening but was an hour late leaving because she was trying to clean and straighten up the racks and tables. She was scheduled to work early the next day . The next day the acting manager - wrote her a bad review for not honoring store policy and working over time!  She is desperate to find another job but she is single and in her mid 50s. Very sad. I  worked for this JCP while in high school and it always won awards for the region has one the best JCP with top sales and outstanding employees. Our one Sears store close last year. We had 3 Kmarts and our last store closed two weeks ago. SouthernBee 

I am so sorry your friend was given a bad review because she stayed late to clean up the mess left by customers.  Obviously the manager who did that is an idiot.   If she hadn't cleaned up the mess he probably would have given her a bad review for not doing it.  Sometimes a person can't win for losing.  Many mangers should not be managers but sadly some employers don't seem to know how to pick the right candidates and  the ones under them have to suffer because of it.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma- friend lived up north and moved south  4 years ago to care for a sick relative that  later died. Church friends helped her get the job with JCP. She loves JCP but this last year has been very difficult and stressful. She called me yesterday asking for me to do extra prayers for her and if I knew of any other employment ideas. I laughed and said we had lunch at Cici's pizza and they had sign looking for store managers. She said - please no manager jobs or retail. I told her she might be eligible for pizza discount and that would take care of one meal per day. She said she likes me because I always make her laugh. SouthernBee