Respected Contributor

Re: Is it true JC Penney is closing in 2018?

@Spurt wrote:

@TheMemphisVette wrote:

I have not been in a JCP physical store or shopped a mall in 20 yrs.   I did order from JCP on line a few years back on some black Friday deals.   The last time i was in a Sears store was 1999, I bought a washer and dryer.   

The ‘department stores’ lost me long ago.   Chasing coupons, sales valid only certain days, etc….I have no desire or time to play those games.   And having to shop when they are actually open.   Roaming the store to find where they decided to put something.  Digging through what others have messed up. Backtracking my steps over and over.  Then having to find someone to take my money, ugh.  What a joke.  No thanks.   

The only physical stores I shop are Costco, Krogers and occasionally Walmart.   Kroger and Walmart are always open at my convenience.  Sales are weekly+, not having to shop specific days.  No store coupons to chase.   I limit my trips by buying bulk and buying ahead of need.

Most of my shopping is from my computer on my own time line, anytime. Best prices….easy to get best price available anywhere at the tap of the keyboard.  

Appliances also.   Last fall bought a new washer and dryer on line.  Was able to compare ALL models and manufactures.  Not just what a specific store had.  Not having to go from store to store.  Like the last time in 1999.

I am expecting amazon deliveries today.  49” Tv, cables, digital antenna, console table.   A rug is delivering Wed, a headboard is delivering Thurs. Just how many stores and hours would I have spent finding these things?  And having to wrangle them into the hummer and home.   

For me,  going to physical stores is not pleasurable or productive at all.   Times have changed for the better when it comes to our consumer experience and convenience.      

@TheMemphisVette

now now remember you must be tolerant of other peoples shopping preferences remember every store or mall may not meet your needs but it might meet the needs of others............

@Spurt

yes, and please notice I stated  FOR ME.  I bolded that for you since you missed it.

thanks.

~~who/what is responsible for your joy? YOU!~~
Honored Contributor

@TheMemphisVette wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@TheMemphisVette wrote:

I have not been in a JCP physical store or shopped a mall in 20 yrs.   I did order from JCP on line a few years back on some black Friday deals.   The last time i was in a Sears store was 1999, I bought a washer and dryer.   

The ‘department stores’ lost me long ago.   Chasing coupons, sales valid only certain days, etc….I have no desire or time to play those games.   And having to shop when they are actually open.   Roaming the store to find where they decided to put something.  Digging through what others have messed up. Backtracking my steps over and over.  Then having to find someone to take my money, ugh.  What a joke.  No thanks.   

The only physical stores I shop are Costco, Krogers and occasionally Walmart.   Kroger and Walmart are always open at my convenience.  Sales are weekly+, not having to shop specific days.  No store coupons to chase.   I limit my trips by buying bulk and buying ahead of need.

Most of my shopping is from my computer on my own time line, anytime. Best prices….easy to get best price available anywhere at the tap of the keyboard.  

Appliances also.   Last fall bought a new washer and dryer on line.  Was able to compare ALL models and manufactures.  Not just what a specific store had.  Not having to go from store to store.  Like the last time in 1999.

I am expecting amazon deliveries today.  49” Tv, cables, digital antenna, console table.   A rug is delivering Wed, a headboard is delivering Thurs. Just how many stores and hours would I have spent finding these things?  And having to wrangle them into the hummer and home.   

For me,  going to physical stores is not pleasurable or productive at all.   Times have changed for the better when it comes to our consumer experience and convenience.      

@TheMemphisVette

now now remember you must be tolerant of other peoples shopping preferences remember every store or mall may not meet your needs but it might meet the needs of others............

@Spurt

yes, and please notice I stated  FOR ME.  I bolded that for you since you missed it.

thanks.

@TheMemphisVette

But what about TOLERANCE!!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@TheMemphisVette wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@TheMemphisVette wrote:

@TheMemphisVette

@Spurt

thanks.

@TheMemphisVette

But what about TOLERANCE!!

@Spurt

The topic is closing of stores.   My post was simply why I do not shop at them.  This was not about what others do or want. Clearly others do and I would hope they can continue.   

why are you confused about TOLERANCE?

~~who/what is responsible for your joy? YOU!~~
Honored Contributor

Speaking of JCP ....

I just ordered a few things on line .... lots of sales and free shipping.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

They were talking about this on Friday on Fox buisness news.  Stock is down... 

J.C. Penney Co., down 54 cents to $3.12

The department store cut its annual forecasts for profit and a key sales measurement.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Spurt

I haven't been in Macy's in years!  

I think the stores are terribly understaffed & the younger employees aren't interested in keeping the store to standards of the past.

Honored Contributor

Re: my recent post describing cars and filled parking lots everywhere (around here), I just returned from a family gathering, and someone who lives about 40 miles away, said the same thing..........cars and cars everwhere; mall and other parking lots filled to capacity.  So, I guess that it does depend on the area.  Lots of Out-ies, rather than Inn-ies.  (Outdoor shoppers vrs. Indoor shoppers)  Lots of people out everywhere, doing 'this and that'.   If most folks (over here) were shopping indoors, I would guess that the streets and centers would be somewhat barren.  Just thinking out loud, though.  Wishing everyone well, no matter what or why, etc.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Valued Contributor

I really hope not. JCP is my favorite place to shop. For my husband, grandkids and myself. Again, I really hope they don't close. Plus the sales people losing there jobs. I have worked retail for almost 40 yrs, its not easy. My heart always goes out to the employees. I have been, there, when I have closed a store, its not easy, physically or emotionally. 

Respected Contributor

@smoky22 wrote:

Seeing one store in disarray does not mean the entire chain is closing.  I find your headline a little irresponsible.

I have 3 JCPenney stores near me and they are all great. 

I agree, however; JC Penney has been trying to "find itself" for the last few years.  Last two small towns I lived have closed Penneys and Belk.  Penneys stores were most certainly targets while the stores' CEOs/management structure were in chaos. Not heard anything officially about a closure but I'd not be surprised if it does happen to both of the above stores. 

Penneys went through a "we'll stop coupons and lower prices" and that didn't work, then they brought back coupons/discounts.  Our local Penneys in the mall is always empty.  Went in there to buy drapes for new home and they did everything they could (bundling online discounts and in store sales) to make sure I would buy there.  I did but bc I loved the curtains. I do have to wonder though - after bundling the discounts, the draperies were pretty reasonable and I love them but the prob I have with all this, stop the games and just price the items at the lowest you could get without all of them!