Honored Contributor

Re: Is it too early to get the fall decor out?

@Laura14  Labor Day occurs late this year -- in fact the latest date possible.  So start now!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I usually wait until after Labor Day.

Respected Contributor

It's September; so, it's not to early to for fall decoration.  However, I'm holding off for fall weather.  We've had a week of 90 degree weather and they are predicting more of the same next week.  Regardless of what the calendar says; for me, it's still summer. 

Honored Contributor

I used to do elaborate outdoor decorating for fall - hay bales, pumpkins, gourds, Indian corn, and mums in a display on my front porch.  Corn shocks and Indian corn around the basketball pole with more pumpkins, gourds, and mums around the base.  I enjoyed it quite a bit, but eventually I gave it up.  My annual planters are looking awful.  I'm pitching the remaining ones this weekend and replacing them with some mums.

Honored Contributor

The mums are in bloom, so it's not too early.  Go for it.

I added candy corn to my Mah JOng goodies yesterday and put it into my favorite Halloween serving piece.  I'm ready for fall, too.

Respected Contributor

I think now that it is September its OK.  I haven't seen many exterior decor out yet where we live (PA), but that is probably because of the heat we are experiencing doesn't make it feel like fall yet.  

Most of the nurseries don't even have the mums for sale here and that's unusual.  

I don't decorate heavily.  Usually just some mums and a fall wreath outside and some small things indoors.  

Honored Contributor

@panda1234 wrote:

I am having a hard time holding back. I want to see what I have before I buy anything new. All of the stores have their stuff out and I am afraid if I don't buy now, things will be gone after Labor Day. Anyone started decorating?

I always thought that started with Halloween. Image result for peanuts characters

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

My grocery store has Halloween candy out, so I don't think it's too early for fall decorating if you want to do that.

For me, there's no way I'm ready for fall. It's still in the 90s here every day and my AC went out last night. Thankfully it rained and was in the 70s overnight, so I opened some windows and it got down to 80 inside my apartment, but as long as it's in the 90s and I'm sweating just sitting on the couch, I just can't do fall stuff.

Esteemed Contributor

I work for Hallmark and we put out the Christmas Ornaments in August...Too early but orders are orders

Trusted Contributor

I held back from buying 2 weeks ago until I noticed the stuff I wanted was GONE ... so I have been buying and slowly putting the 'summer' stuff away.  It is easy for me to integrate the Fall things because I have sunflowers all over.

So far I bought 4 glass pumpkins.  One is orange mercury glass, another silver mercury glass and the last 2 are orange/amber opaque glass.  

I love the Fall.  I think it is coming early here - the leaves are changing and I have a massive sinus headache too ... or maybe these changes are due to the fact we had some beautiful 80 plus degree weather for awhile and now it is climbing up towards 90 ???